You Are My Home

High School: Senior Year

Stiles and Derek are best friends and have always supported each other. They started dating in their senior year of high school.

Stiles has never been much of an athlete in that it's never interested him. He supposes if he'd tried, he might've been good but oh well. I mean he loves to swim and is really good at running but he'd rather do those for fun and not competitively. Besides it's best if he leaves that to his best friend Derek who absolutely rules the fields and the courts. Stiles cheers him on at every game and they always go to the diner right after. It's tradition but at the beginning of senior year something changes.

"Hey Stiles!" Derek calls out, rushing off the field and over to the bleachers.

Stiles looks up and smiles. "Hey! What's up?"

Derek smiles back and takes a deep breath. "So, since it's our last year of high school I was thinking that I want to add to our tradition of eating at the diner."

"Oh? Well, I'm down for that. What are we adding?"

"Movie night with snacks and drinks?"

"At your house or mine?"

Derek's cheeks twinge a very light pink. "Mine? Unless you want to go to the movie theater?"

Stiles quirks a brow thinking to himself that a movie theater would be more date-like and though he's harboring some feelings for his best friend he doesn't think a date atmosphere would be good. "I mean it's cozier at home. I'll bring chocolate and soda if you wanna handle the popcorn and the movie?"

"Sounds perfect to me. Meet you at the jeep?"

"Well, I mean we could except we drove in your car today, Der."

Derek blushes and clears his throat. "Oh. Right. Okay I'm going to go shower. I'll see you at the car–my car." He smiles and jogs away toward the locker rooms.

Stiles chuckles, curious about what has his best friend so flustered. He packs up his things and heads to the Camaro to wait.

They swing by the store on the way home and get all the goodies they need though Derek insists on getting more than they will probably eat.

Derek and Stiles have always been close, and some people make assumptions about their relationship but as Stiles sits on the couch with Derek's head in his lap, raking his fingers through Derek's hair he can't help but not give a damn what others think. Though when he glances down and sees the soft smile on Derek's face, he's never wanted to kiss someone more.

The movie is a movie. The goodies are goodies. It is a fun evening and Stiles would gladly add it to tradition but as he's brushing his teeth he gets lost in thought. This is why he doesn't notice Derek leaning against the door frame.

"Stiles?" he says softly.

"Mm?" he hums as he swishes his mouthwash.

Derek's eyes trail over his best friend gathering his courage. "I've been thinking and there's something I want to talk to you about."

Stiles spits and rinses the mouthwash cup before turning to face his best friend and tilting his head. "Okay. I'm all ears," he says, throwing his arms out to the side.

"My room?"

"Sure."

Stiles takes a seat on Derek's bed, sitting cross legged, while Derek remains standing.

"So, you know you're my best friend and you're so very important to me...right?"

"Yeah. Of course, I know that. How could I ever forget? It's the same for me."