59 ~ To Lose A Friend

Start from the beginning

The group boarded the hayride and took a seat in the bed of a truck. Hunter and (Y/n) sat next to Luz and Amity as they all sat across from Willow and Gus.

The guide was Masha, a person they'd met on their day out looking for answers about the rebus. Such a small world. "I hope you're all prepared for a truly scary ride."

"Make us cry! Make us cry!" Willow and Gus chanted.

"Because there's nothing scarier... than knowledge." Masha said.

Gus booed, "Just lie to me!" He shouted, earning a chuckle from (Y/n).

"Let me tell you the eeriest unsolved mystery of Gravesfield. The Tale of the Brothers Wittebane.." The guide began.

The Brothers Wittebane... Wittebane. Wasn't that Caleb's last name?

"Wittebane?" Amity whispered, "Isn't that Belos?"

Oh shit that's right. It was Belos too.

"The year is 1654. Two orphaned brothers arrive in Gravesfield. Their names? Philip... and Caleb." Masha continued.

Hunter began to sweat and tense as he watched the show before him. Wooden cut outs of a blond man and a brunette boy danced as the puppeteers commanded them.
"Oh no..." He mumbled.

(Y/n) put her hand on his leg to remind him he wasn't alone in this, that he had her. Hunter seemed to ease up, if only a little.

"Caleb did his best to take care of his younger brother. They tried to fit in with this town, and its unsavory practices. They became.. witch-hunters!" Masha said making Hunter gulp.

(Y/n) wrapped his hand in her's as she knew it'd be a long ride.

"Local lore suggests that the Brothers Wittebane met a real witch from another world! Her name was Ellaline.." The Guide continued.

(Y/n) perked her head up when she heard the name.

"And the older brother was spirited away. She dazzled him with magic and visions of a strange yet beautiful place. They used a secret code to travel between worlds." Masha said.

Hunter felt a strange sense of deja vu. Masha's words reminded him of the dream he'd had, but it was purely fog in his memory.

"Philip set off to save his brother and bring the witch to justice. But neither were ever seen again! Maybe Philip saved Caleb, and they went on to lead peaceful lives. Or maybe.. he's still chasing his brother, caught in a cycle of horror and strife!" Masha exclaimed, making everyone gasp. "Sounds like big bro got a hot witch girlfriend and little bro got upset. But that's just me." They added with a shrug.

Hunter offered (Y/n) a small smirk and a wink that she playfully returned. His face grew ten times pinker when she winked back. He looked like he regretted it in a flustered fashion, feeling as though he'd challenged her and lost.

After that, the hayride was over and they all got off of the truck. Hunter stepped off of the bed only to hear the same haunting laugh from before. He looked towards its source to see two glowing blue eyes with the silhouette of horns.

He felt a shiver run down his spine and the blood drain from his face. Without a word, he breathlessly grabbed Luz and (Y/n)'s hands, dragging them behind the truck.

"What's going on?" Luz asked, concerned.

"It's him. He's here!" Hunter exclaimed in a panic, "I saw him this time. And it wasn't in my head after all. You believe me, right?"

(Y/n) nodded, but Luz thought for a minute, "Well, how can you be sure? What would he be doing here?"

Hunter was quiet, only for a moment. "Titan Blood..." He lowly mumbled. (Y/n) wanted to stop him, but knew that this matter was far more important than any surprise they could've had for Luz. "I'm not supposed to tell. But the secret code that guide mentioned? It's a puzzle, a rebus we found in the shack. Amity thinks it leads to Titan Blood."