"Of course you were..." Glenn murmured, taking his hat off in stress. "It's just—"

"You weren't looking for me and that's all I needed to know." I cut him off, refusing to listen to him find excuses on why they didn't search for me. "I thought you were my best friend.." I scoff, "You were supposed to be. I don't forgive you and I never will."

"Kendall." Glenn calls my name, but I wasn't ready to listen. I hardly spare him a glance as I brush past him, stomping down the stairs and finding a spot on the ground. I lean against the brick built into the porch, my chin up and eyes searching the dark sky.

I deserve care and uplifting. I deserve a person who would search the world, high and low, to find me. I open my journal, continuing to write. Glenn is that person, or will be, or can be but forgiving him for being absent in searching for me... I cannot.

I pause my writing, realizing just how much I have been procrastinating when it comes to this.
It's supposed to be a comfort thing, something I can entrust to release all the emotions I keep in because I'm too scared to say them out loud. It's relaxing now, sitting by myself and jotting down my emotions— until the screen door opens and the sound of footsteps grow closer. It ruins my moment alone.

I press further against the porch, hoping the people above me couldn't see me.

Lori and Rick. Lori came outside first, leaning against the railing above me; Rick follows her out and does the same.

Her voice quivers as she speaks, "Maybe this isn't a world for children anymore."

"Yeah, well, we have a child." Rick tells her, "Carl is here in this world now."

"Maybe he shouldn't be." Lori says, forcing the words out; almost regretting what she said, but it doesn't matter because the words already left her lips. "Maybe this is how it's supposed to be."

A long pause falls between them, me as well, my heart thundering against my chest. During the silence, I take this as a chance to leave, to rush back inside and sit with my unconscious friend. I don't make an effort to be silent while doing so, glaring at his parents as they stare at me in shock.

It isn't an option, it can't be.

As his hand places warmth in mine thoughts of letting him die like this, or dying at all, run out of my mind. I need him to survive this, for him to live as long as life allows him. It's what Carl deserves— a second chance.

He's sweating, hard, and his skin is searingly hot; it drenches my hand with the salty liquid when I touch his forehead. It didn't bother me, not even a little, I just grab his hand and hold onto him tight. After my blurring eyes glance across his disheveled figure, I press my head against our joined hands and sigh. In a weird way it brought me comfort; and I was hoping this was giving him the same kind of comfort.

"If you don't die we can talk about my dad, like you always wanted to..."

A low groan whistles within the room, causing me to jump up from my spot and find where it was coming from. The Grimes boy shuffled in his spot, huffing and moaning in pain. "Is that a promise?" I breathe out, shaking my head with tears blurring my vision. I almost answer him but he spoke over me, "Where am I?" He asks, looking around the room in panic

"Hey, little man." Rick enters the room with Lori following close behind, placing a hand on his son's head while Lori takes his unoccupied hand. "That's Hershel." He points to the farmer with his eyes, "We're in his house. You had an accident, alright?"

"It hurts... a lot." He gasps tilting his head just a bit to look down at his wound.

"I know baby, I know." Lori says.