𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. SUMMER CHILD.

❪ 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗠𝗣𝗔𝗚𝗡𝗘 & 𝗦𝗨𝗡𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗘 ❫

𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━summer child

summer child. ╱ season one, episode six.
❛ 𝘰𝘩 𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭
𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘥, ❜
TW: CHILD ABUSE, READ WITH CAUTION

THERE WAS SOMETHING much lighter that washed over the car, something lighter in Kennedy's chest. A comfort, a safety just by being held tightly by her blond pogue. The sky was a beautiful blue as she grazed out the windshield to see the plushy angel-white clouds resting in contrast against the light blue. Kennedy felt at peace as if all her problems had faded away with the summer breeze. All the things she ached for were right here, she missed the closeness, the innocence of the tender touches.

Everything seemed so different yet so similar at the same time. Every time she was this close to JJ, his arms comfortingly wound around her body as she was perched on his lap with the seat moved back as they sat in comfortable silence listening to a random song on the radio. It all felt like a fading memory as if she was trapped in the remembrance of last year's summer haze. It was perfect, so perfect it didn't even seem real. She worried that she would be brought back to her kook reality. Instantly getting sucked back into the real world, where she would wake up in her room alone with missed passive-aggressive voicemails from Rafe asking why she was mad at him. And where JJ would be all the way on the other side of the island, still hating her for what she did to him.

It all seemed like a dream, all of it a figment of her imagination brought on by how much distaste she had for her own life. But it wasn't. All of her doubts hit her like a tidal wave, but it's all real. From the slightly foggy windows to the joint pointedly between the tips of her fingers, everything was plain as day. The flickering of a familiar lighter caught her attention, which led her to immediately rest the joint between her lips so the boy could ignite it. A smile twitched on the boy's lips as he watched her, to which Kennedy returned seeing him looking at her.

Just the simple things brought her comfort, even something as small as him watching fondly, joy didn't hesitate to flood her chest. She ached for this warmth, and now she finally had it. Her future lay unclear and cloudy, but right now she didn't dare question it, she couldn't worry about it right now. Kennedy couldn't fear the backlash of her argument with her mother, it would eat her alive if she focused on it. She made the decision to only put her energy into JJ and the treasure hunt. While she clearly stood at a crossroads, she didn't dare look behind her as she ran straight into JJ's arms.

Leaving her life behind for the better seems like a dream, she's been done with it for a long time and it was only a matter of time before she took the plunge. She didn't care about the repercussions, she knew the consequences of her rebellion awaited her. But right now, it didn't matter, she would deal with them eventually. And she knew she would have people who care for her deeply standing right beside her.