Chapter 12: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

I've been in the Sunny long enough to know of his awkwardness with compliments, but the sight always makes me laugh, "Thank you, doctor."

"It's the tenth time this week," he changes his attitude, "I told you you should rest! Your body isn't fully recovered yet."

I kind of hoped he would let me off without the scolding this time.

"Yeah, yeah. I know, but I can't just lie around while everyone else seems to be doing things!"

"Then just take it easy! Please! Now go and rest for today."

"Okay, yeah. I'll try," I say, already opening the door.

On my way out, however, I hit a wall that shouldn't be there and fall back, "What the—"

"Zoro, hi!" The reindeer exclaims, "Are you hurt?"

"No." He greets the doctor. Then, his eyes pose on me, and there is a sly grin on his face. "You should look where you're going," he says, offering me a hand.

For a moment I hesitate to take it. Why is that I've been bumping into him so fucking often?

"Just because you're huge doesn't exempt you from the same, you know," I try to sound annoyed, ignoring the lingering sensation of his hand on mine.

Unfazed, Zoro observes my bandages when I grab his hand, "Franky kicked you out again?"

"No, he just..." I look up, thinking, "kindly suggested me to pester someone else," I chuckle.

"It's turning routine." He laughs, —God, he's so handsome when he laughs like that— "Then you are free today?"

I almost choke, "Free? Ehm—I..." Fuck, c'mon, think of something, "Actually, I'll be helping Sanji in the kitchen."

"You must rest!" Chopper interjects from behind.

Right, I could've said that. Lately, I could swear that Zoro's presence makes my brain shut down.

"Right," I give the reindeer a reassuring smile, "will do."

Zoro smirks, "Its good advice; you still look like a shipwreck."

"Ha. Ha." I scoff, "Thanks Zoro, always so sweet."

He's been so fucking sweet though, for real. I took from his behaviour lately that he's okay with going back to friends. He's always inviting me to train with him, sometimes coming to make me company when it's my turn for the night shift, and even offering his drink to me at dinner. We haven't talked much after we departed the island, but I guess this is his way of letting me know he's alright with us being friends, which is great. Wonderful, really. The last thing I wanted is to make him feel uncomfortable on his own ship. The only problem is, I may not be managing our new relationship as good as him.

Taking the cue to escape now that Chopper and Zoro seem to be talking, I hurry to the exit, "Well, I'll get out of your hair. Thanks again, Chopper!"

Once out of reach, I let out a deep breath; that took me off guard. I've been doing my best not to cross paths with Zoro, but the Sunny seems to be smaller than it looks. It's not like I'm avoiding him. Well, actually, that's kind of exactly the point, but not because I don't want to be near him. The problem is precisely that; I want him too much.

Not long after we departed the island, I understood that being friends with him would prove impossible without some work first. Our proximity, and the way he's been behaving lately, is making things more difficult than it should. With some luck, avoiding him for a while will make it easier to stop short circuiting when he's around. And when that happens, I can safely return to being her friend, and everything will be all right.