Cristina asks "Which resident you assigned to? I got Bailey."

"Also me"

Meredith says "The nazi? Yeah, me too."

A male intern (George O'Malley) says "You got the nazi? So did I. At least we'll be tortured together, right? I'm George O'Malley, uh, we met at the mixer, you had a black dress with a slit up the side, strappy sandals..." Cristina, I, and Meredith exchange looks "Now you think I'm gay."

I tie my sneakers "Don't confuse yourself, I am Bi"

Cristina walking away nods at George "Uh-huh."

George says "No, I'm not gay" I raise my eyebrow "No offense, you are cute but it's, ah, it's just that, you know, you were, I mean" looking at Meredith "you were very, unforgettable."

Meredith and I share a look.

A doctor comes over calling for us "O'Malley, Yang, Blossom, Grey, Stevens."

I stand patting George's shoulder with a smile and head outside.

George mutters "And I'm totally forgettable"

Cristina to doctor "Bailey?"

The doctor points at the nurse station "End of the hall."

We look at the end of the hall, Cristina turns to us wondering "That's the nazi?"

Dr. Miranda Bailey is a short African American woman who appears non-threatening despite her weight.

George says "I thought the nazi would be a guy."

Meredith says "I thought the nazi would be...the nazi."

I say "I thought she would scare us"

A pretty female intern (Izzie Stevens) comes over us "Maybe it's professional jealousy. Maybe she's brilliant, and they call her nazi because they're jealous. Maybe she's nice."

Cristina looks at her "Let me guess. You're the model."

I roll my eyes at Cristina "She thought I was the model"

Izzie gives Cristina a look and turns to Dr. Bailey, smiling and extending a hand "Hi, I'm Isabel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie."

Bailey looks her up and down, doesn't respond or shake her hand "I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule number one, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you, that's not gonna change" Indicates stuff on the bench and we run take it "Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two."

Hour 1.

"Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night till you drop, and don't complain!" Bailey opens the door to a room with a couple of bunk beds "On-call rooms. Attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleeping, don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there, not only would you have kill someone, you would have also woke me for no good reason, we clear?"

I take a deep breath with Wow look on my face and under my breath "I like this woman"

Izzie and Cristina look at me like I'm an alien. Meredith raises a hand.

Bailey answers "Yes."

Meredith says "You said five rules. That was only four."

Bailey's pager beeps "Rule number five. When I move, you move." She runs down the corridor, followed by us, and she yells at a few doctors blocking the hallway "Get out of my way!"