Rich Doesn't Equal Nice

Facing the chestnut door, John reminisced on the past month. His mind was going to all the things that changed. The teen's life truly had filled upside down. He couldn't even go to his dad to ask for advice. The authorities deemed any contact with the man detrimental to his progress. Instead, he got stuck with a callous high-tier that ridiculed him for the last 30 days. He was really starting to hate his ability and what it had done to his life. John couldn't even stop using it as the lady he was with forced him to train with it. She commented on how he needed to "learn to not abuse it", but with the way she was talking, it didn't sound much better than his previous ways.

Valerie, or whatever her name was, knocked on the door, interrupting his thoughts. She looked over at him, seemingly annoyed that someone was actually willing to take him in. The teen guessed the authorities wanted to keep their grubby hands on him, but not in this universe. Hopefully, the person on the other side of the door was nice, or at least nicer than the blonde lady.

He heard a sigh as he looked back over to Valerie.

Her eyes burned into him. Sensing his discomfort, she spoke, "John, I know this past month has been hard for you, but I need you to understand that it is for your own good. You have made a lot of headway now that your previous guardian is out of the picture and I need you to keep making progress."

She turned fully to John and put a hand on his shoulder. "This family is filled with successful high-tiers that have done much for society and I am hopeful you will join in that success. I have high hopes for you. Don't disappoint me."

The last sentence was said with a certain level of seriousness to it. It left a chill in John. Suddenly the book hidden away felt ten times heavier, and the urge to know who was on the other side of the door died out.

"I-I will try not to." He gulped as the words left his mouth.

As if waiting for a moment to break the tension, the door swung open and a peach-haired lady appeared. "Hello, can I help you?"

Valerie turned back to the door, her ponytail almost whipping him in the face with how close she was. "Good Afternoon. My name is Valerie. I am with the authorities. I have been taking care of John for the past month. Narisa said she would be taking him off my hands." She gestured back to the ravenette. "Today was the day I agreed to drop him off."

"I see." Realizing who they were, she opened the door further and led them inside. "Please wait here, I'll go get her for you."

John watched her as she went swiftly up the stairs. His head once again swirling with thoughts. All of them were framed around what would happen from this point onward.

Is she going to be nice? Will she actually explain what is going on? Will someone finally tell me what my dad did wrong other than just being powerless? Will she force me to use my powers? Do they have children? The questions only continued as he heard the footsteps of someone walking down the staircase.

The person in question was a tall lady with neatly styled lavender hair. Her steps were slow and calculated as she scanned the room, her eyes landing on him. She scanned him for a minute before drifting her gaze once again. John gave a guess that this was the Narisa, Valerie was talking about.

The woman eventually made her way down the staircase as she walked up to the two of them. "Valerie, what a pleasure it is to see you again. And I assume this is John?"

"It truly is a pleasure, Narisa. It has been a while since we last spoke, and yes, you assume correctly. This is John Doe." Valerie turned to John. "John, this is Narisa. She is going to be your guardian. I expect you to treat her with the utmost respect as she was kind enough to take you in."