Take You By Surprise

"Ma. Mama. Gumising ka na dyan. Huy!"

Leni slowly opened her eyes, vision still blurry from her sleep. It was morning, she knew that from the sun that was so bright that even with her eyes closed, she could feel its heat on her face. She felt it from the coldness of her sheets, in contrast with the not-so-cold room she was sleeping in only moments ago. She didn't wake up from her alarm. That meant it was a weekend. Or maybe she forgot to set one?

No, no. That can't be. She never forgets to set her alarms the nights before.

Her second-eldest daughter's voice and a few taps on her arm turning into almost violent shoving of her body forced her to wake up.

"Tricia?" She said, voice still raspy from her slumber. Sitting up slowly, she rubbed her eyes and looked around the room, stars seeming to appear in her line of sight. 3 figures stood around her. One on each side and one at the foot of her bed.

"Mama, tumayo ka na dyan. Malelate ka na."

That was Jillian's voice. Her youngest daughter was in Boston? Since when?

"Ma, kung ayaw mo pakinggan sina Patty at Jill, sa akin ka makinig. Ayaw mo ng nalelate diba? Halika na, tumayo ka na dyan."

Aika. What was Aika doing in Boston? Did she not have work back home?

"Aiks? Ano'ng ginagawa mo dito? Bakit andito kayong tatlo?" Leni asked in surprise.

"Basta. Come on, tumayo ka na dyan at malelate tayo."

"Kanina pa kayo nagsasabing malelate. Saan tayo malelate? I don't have classes today, weekend diba?"

"Basta nga. Tumayo ka na dyan tapos let's have breakfast," Jillian said, pulling her mother up by the arm. "Si Ate Aiks nagluto. Hindi mo ba na-miss luto niya?"

Confused and in her sleepy state, Leni got out of bed and told her daughters to go ahead to the dining room and she'd follow after brushing her teeth. After doing so, she grabbed her phone by the bedside table and saw that it was a Saturday. And it was only 7 in the morning. Her kids rarely saw her on a Saturday as they'd much rather spend Sundays together. Even when they did, it would not be this early.

She then texted Risa. "Good morning, darling. The girls are here sa apt. I don't know bakit. Pati si Aika nandito. Mag-breakfast muna kami. I love you."

The smell of freshly cooked eggs, fried rice, and corned beef filled her nostrils as she exited the bathroom. She sat down at the head of the table, her children already seated and were patiently waiting for her. "Ma," Aika said as they were eating. "After mo kumain, maligo ka na ha. Kami na nila Patty magligpit dito."

"Ano'ng mayro'n? Aalis ba tayo? Bakit parang madaling-madali kayo?"

"Ang dami mong questions, Ma," Jill laughed. "Basta just do what Ate Aika's telling you to do tapos aalis na tayo."

"Saan tayo pupunta?" Leni asked.

"Basta nga. Surprise."

Leni shook her head, a smile on her face. "Ang dami niyo na namang pinaplano."

As her eldest daughter had instructed, she showered after finishing her meal. Still, Leni had no clue why her children were at her apartment. But she went along with what they wanted her to do. There was no use in arguing with any of her children. Not when all three of them were working together for whatever it was that they were planning.

"Aiks? Ano 'tong damit na nasa bed? Kanino 'to?"

"Sa'yo 'yan, Ma! Wear that."

Leni stared at the clothes neatly placed on her bed. Why she had to wear it, she had no idea. When did her kids buy it for her? She also had no clue. But she wore the clothes anyway. As soon as she was dressed, she opened her door and before heading out to the living room, Jillian held her shoulder and gently pushed her back to the room.