"She asked me to bring her here," Jacques whined.

"Both of you are bad as each other," Nico announced in exasperation.

"Okay, this looks bad-" I replied.

"Looks bad?" Nico yelled. "Rudolph saw you at the Old Mermaid Tavern and called me."

I uttered a curse under my breath. Damn Rudolph and his stupid reindeer name. He must have spotted me in the tavern and then called Nico to tattle on me.

"I'm guessing Rudolph wants something in exchange for his silence," I groaned.

"Naturally. He caught you visiting a brothel with a man who is not your husband," Nico said.

"It wasn't like that," I snapped.

"Really? Do you think the court would believe you if Rudolph ever let loose that information?" Nico asked.

My shoulders sagged downwards, and I suddenly felt small. Rudolph had already announced to the whole court on my wedding day that I was whore. No doubt, he would love for an excuse to fan the flames of court gossip by telling everyone where he had seen me tonight.

Jacques let out a loud breath and groaned, "Can we just kill asshole?"

"I second that," I added.

"I cannot assassinate everyone you disagree with, Sophie. You are a Queen, not a tinpot dictator," he replied tightly.

"I don't mind killing him," Jacques replied.

"That's not the point," Nico snapped. "Neither of you should have left the safety of the lodge grounds. We must return to the lodge immediately before Casper realises his Queen is missing."

My head lifted at the mention of Casper's name.

"Does Casper not know I'm gone?" I asked.

I already knew the answer. If Casper had known I was here, thunder and lightning would have filled the sky. He would come for me in person to scream at me for being so reckless.

"No. I decided it was best to quietly return you to the lodge before Casper noticed your absence," Nico said quietly.

That made me feel slightly better. But, as much as I loved Casper, he was too overprotective. I couldn't imagine him allowing me to fight a demon, just as I couldn't imagine Nico training me to fight a demon.

Getting Nico to train me to fight would be my next challenge. Nico wasn't the type that thought women should fight. His vision of the perfect Queen would be a woman who sat on a throne in a pretty dress and smiled pleasantly at everyone.

"Nico," I began, nervously fiddling with the hem of my jacket. "I know how to save Mia, but I'm going to need your help."

Nico's eyes remained fixed on the road, but his hands tightened on the steering wheel. "Go on."

For the next five minutes, I gave a truthful account of everything that had happened in the forest and the Spit, including breaking the Landlord's arm. He listened quietly, and his eyes never wavered from the road.

When I finished, he finally looked at me through the rearview mirror and calmly said, "Thank you for telling me the truth. I understand you want to help Mia, but I can't allow you to put your life in danger as Queen."

"Nico, I'm the only vampire that can help Mia because I'm the only vampire that can kill demons," I replied.

"You are Queen, not a soldier," he admonished.

I rolled my eyes in frustration. His response didn't surprise me, but it meant I would have to do something extreme to make him reconsider his archaic view of women.