Chapter 16 - The News

Start from the beginning

A nagging feeling warned that once Bastian was done with me, I'd never be the same.

***

My phone beeped. I rolled over, groaning, then blinked. The room came in and out of focus. My phone beeped again, another text. I glanced at the bedside clock. It was nearly 10:00am. Teddy had left the confines of my arms at some point, getting comfortable on the other pillow, instead. He meowed when he saw me awake.

"Hello to you, too," I teased. Having him around meant I had someone to talk to, or rather, talk at.

I rolled over and snatched my phone, quickly scrolling through notifications. Nothing from Bastian, but a handful of texts from Vivi, two from Tara, one from Eaden, one from Kaylee, and another from my freaking mother—I ignored that one.

I focused on Vivi's first, which had come in a few hours after talked on the phone

Did you end up staying with the coffee shop guy?

I got the details from my sister. That asshole ended up dipping into their savings, making a shady investment, and losing all their money. He didn't tell her because he thought he could make it back before she found out.

Crazy, right?

You're not answering my texts. What's going on?

Are you okay?

Did that asshole kill you?!

Elle! Tell me you're okay, or I'm getting on a flight right now!

I sighed. The last four had been sent this morning. I'd slept through two of them. She was on the eastern side of the continent, so she was several hours ahead. Probably frantic.

I considered calling her, but I didn't feel like talking. Quickly punching out a series of responses, I sent them and moved on to Tara and then Kaylee.

Then finally, Eaden. He'd texted me two nights ago, but I was only opening it now. Candy, what the fuck is going on? Your shit's still in your locker. The back door is open. I sent Zach out to look for you. Looks like something happened in the alley. Call me when you get this.

Another had come in yesterday afternoon. What the fuck is going on, Candy? None of my calls are going through.

And then, later last night, after I'd fallen asleep. Someone said they saw you at The Vault. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow, I'm filing a police report for a missing person.

I wasn't going to call him. It would give him ample opportunity to ask too many questions, so I shot him a quick text telling him that something went down, and I was okay.

A few moments later, the beeping began. The screen began to flash with incoming messages. Vivi, Kaylee, Tara. One from Eaden. Then another from Vivi. I grumbled. I didn't have patience for this. I needed coffee, ASAP.

Tossing it over on the bed—they could all wait—I climbed to my feet and slipped into the bathroom. After that, I crept into the kitchen. I half expected to find Bastian standing there shirtless, cooking breakfast, but everything was quiet. The coffee maker hadn't been cleaned out from yesterday, so I went about rinsing it out, then making coffee.

"Woooowwww..." I whistled, finding the stash of expensive coffee in the cabinet. Small batch beans in bags labeled with different flavors. A smile pulled at the corner of my lips. How very Bastian Croft of him. I grabbed the one that labeled oatmeal cookies and poured some into the grinder. The smell that wafted through the air had me groaning in delight.

Once the coffee was brewing, I set about doing the dishes from last night's dinner. Bastian was neat, and there was only the small stack in the sink. He mostly cleaned up as he went.