Chapter 36 - The M in Mehendi Stands for Madness

Akshara shifted her eyes between Mimi and a ghoonghat clad Abhimanyu warily as Mimi came to a halt beside them. Abhimanyu tried to stay as still as possible while Akshara tried to remain as calm as she could even though her heart was racing faster than horses on a racetrack.

"Mimi? What happened?" Akshara stuttered, her voice barely anything more than a squeal.

"Everything good?"

"Me?! Yes! What would be wrong with me?! Pfftt." She rambled, making Abhimanyu close his eyes knowing how terrible of a liar his Akshara was.

"Then why did you scream?"

Crap.

"Scream? Me?" Akshara glanced in Abhimanyu's direction again before turning back toward Mimi. "Ticklish! Her hands were cold so I felt a bit ticklish when she tried to put henna on me and accidentally screamed. And you know me, Mimi, I feel ticklish very easily. Bas, that's it."

Mimi eyed Akshara carefully before nodding her head. "Okay, if you so say."

Abhimanyu and Akshara both sighed in relief as they watched Mimi walk away.

"Remind me to never confide in you if in case I decide to murder someone. Instead of helping me, you'd be advertising with blaring sirens and neon lights that 'Abhimanyu Birla is the killer', Abhimanyu joked.

"Please! Mimi makes me nervous!" Akshara confided.

"She makes me nervous too. But you know, I think it's cute how you can't lie."

"Uh huh. Now be quiet and start applying my Mehendi before anyone else gets suspicious."

"Yes, Ma'am."

Abhimanyu began applying henna on Akshara's hands while Akshara looked around at the rest of the ladies, engrossed in music, enjoying their time together.

"The lady beside Shefali Di, is Parth Jiju right?"

"Yes. And before you ask, the one beside Saanj and the other girls is Neil."

"And whose idea was to gate crash the party?" Akshara teased.

"Mine. I mean it's our first Mehendi together, how can I let it go to waste by spending it apart?" Abhimanyu lifted his ghoonghat and smiled at her before veiling himself again.

"And by the way, who taught you guys how to tie the sarees?" She asked curiously.

"The hotel staff..." Abhimanyu answered casually, earning a pointed look from Akshara.

"Hotel staff?" She probed further.

"Akshara...are you jealous?" He teased, finally realizing what scenarios might be running through her mind.

"Jealous? Me? You wish!" She may have been denying the claims but she was ready to throw hands at any girl that may have touched her Abhimanyu.

"Vandana...aunty was very helpful in teaching us how wear a saree. And YouTube uncle was a big help too." Abhimanyu teased Akshara, making blush with embarrassment.

He may not have wanted to admit it but watching Akshara be possessive of him warmed his heart.

"Umm, focus on the Mehendi please." Akshara replied, bashfully, changing the subject.

Abhimanyu got to work on Akshara's hand. He may not have any experience in henna art but he did have experience in drawing. And henna art was basically like drawing on blank canvas. Except this time the canvas was a palm.

Akshara watched curiously and in awe of her boyfriend —yes boyfriend for now until things got official as he began drawing a heart on her palm.

Except there was one single tiny problem.