she stayed silent.

" Am I talking to someone? " he asked, his voice laced with a bit of roughness.

" I will get ready," she said.

"Good girl."

"Please where are we going?"

"My family house."

"I will be uncomfortable. "

" You will like it. Get ready."

" fine. "

" See you tomorrow. "

After the call, she glanced at her novel and the book she was supposed to study. It was art history, which she was not too good at. But she had found a loophole.

She didn't see any reason why she should bother studying too much for the test. She had gotten past question papers and it was said that the lecturer often repeated past questions, hence she did not bother to study the text.

She had seen the tests from four years back and it was the same thing. The only difference was the arrangement of the questions which were shuffled to make it look different, so she was confident that she would pass or 'burn it' as she often heard students say. 'Burn it' was slang for passing with excellence.

She left her bunk and began slowly packing a few stuff for the weekend.

She looked up as Hilda entered the room with a book.

"Hey, where are you going?" Hilda inquired.

"Weekend."

"Didn't you say you'll go by next weekend?"

"I -" Boma began. then going speechless, she just shrugged.

"Is everything alright?"

"When is it ever?"

"Talk to me."

" It's Donovan. He wants me to go with him for the weekend to his family's house. "

" I see."

Boma shrugged again.

"Try and cheer up. At least his family will be there. Don't be afraid. Use that as consolation."

" I don't know his family. " Boma snapped. " I don't know him. I don't know - anybody. "

Hilda slowly sank back into her bed.

" Look I'm sorry I shouted. " Boma apologized. Then she burst into tears, prompting her friend to hug her.

" It's okay. I understand how you feel. Everything will be alright."

After her emotional breakdown, Boma slept and woke up around 5:55 pm to her friend cooking noodles with a boiling ring.

The noodles were in a bowl and all the ingredients were inside. The aroma filled the room.

Her stomach growled. "That smells good," she said.

"Your portion is here. Don't worry."

"Thanks."

Just then Boma noticed that the door was half open.

She rushed off the bed and closed the door.

Hilda's jaw dropped, her eyes shining with panic as they heard the porter's voice shouting as she approached their corridor.

"Who is cooking in this wing? Who is doing that? I will report you to the school authority. How many times have I said no cooking in the hostel? You all know the rules. "