Chapter 25 - Tell Me The Truth

Start from the beginning

'The point is that she's started suspecting me properly now, and since Bela and Daniela still can't even bear to be in the same room with me, it's only a matter of time before she works out that something's wrong. I need you to tell me what it is, so I can fix it. Otherwise... I probably won't survive the next twenty-four hours.'

'Y/N, I can't tell you.' Cassandra replied, her tone resolute. 'I promised the others...'

'Who?' Y/N asked pleadingly. 'Cassandra, please!' Cassandra made to turn away from him, but Y/N's hand shot out and grabbed her wrist. She turned back to him in surprise, but Y/N didn't let go.

'Please Cassandra.' He begged, holding her gaze unwaveringly as she looked at him, an expression of torment coming across her features. 'I need to know. I can't fix it if I don't.' Cassandra tried tugging her arm out of his grip, but Y/N held on. 'I don't care what it is! But I have to know if we're to move past it!' 

Beneath his fingers, Cassandra's skin broke apart, and his fingers closed over empty air as her flies slipped through his fingers, reforming into her hand as she moved back from him, her expression filled with regret.

'I... I can't. I'm... I'm so sorry...' 

And with that, she turned and melted away into the air. 

---

That night, as Y/N lay in bed, sleeping a restless cycle of nightmares and answerless dreams, a pair of cold hands shook him awake. Gasping suddenly as their hand closed around his wrist, Y/N lashed out blindly at the darkness, before a strong, icy hand clamped over his mouth, muffling his cry of shock, and a quiet voice hissed:

'SHHH!'

Falling still, Y/N peered through the darkness into the gloom. A tiny sliver of moonlight was filtering through the window, and against it, outlined in the darkness, he saw a slender, hooded figure knelt beside his bed. Tapping their hand to reassure them that he wouldn't cry out, Y/N waited for them to remove it from over his mouth and wrist, then rolled awkwardly onto his side, rummaged on his bedside table for a moment, then struck a match, lighting the lamp beside his bed. 

As the soft yellow light swelled into being, Cassandra's frowning face was bathed in its light. Her hood was up, and though Y/N had never known her to be nervous, in the half-light flickering flame, he saw that her expression was one of distinct unease. 

'Cassandra?' He sighed, rubbing his eyes to clear his vision of sleep. 'What are you doing here?' For a moment, Cassandra didn't reply, but glanced furtively back over her shoulder towards the doorway, before she turned back to Y/N and watched him for a moment. She sighed deeply.

'I need to show you something.' She told him quietly. 'Get dressed.'

Approximately two minutes later, Y/N joined Cassandra outside the door, nearly walking past her on account of how well she blended into the shadows

'So, what do you need to show me?' Y/N asked, but Cassandra put a single, gloved finger to her lips and beckoned him onwards, away from her sisters' rooms.