T H I R T Y • N I N E

Start from the beginning

I walk onto set, which is set in the Family Video car park today, and stand next to Natalia. I resist the urge to brush my hair out of my face, after hair and makeup made it expertly disheveled.

I spy Joe walking towards us, and I give him a timid smile, my heart rushing with a flutter of beats as he smiles back. Today is the day that Steve declares his love for Kaya, and as much as I've convinced myself that I can handle this like a professional, I know hearing those words will sting.

"Hey," I say to him, quieter than I intended.

"Hey," He responds back, just as quietly.

The softness in his voice matches the softness in his eyes, and I have to focus on my breathing.

"Hey," Natalia says to both of us.

I look over at her, and laugh apologetically, realising we were ignoring her.

Shawn walks over to us, and gives us the directions for the scene. This is the first time we see each other after Steve had left to get Nancy with Dustin.

"Okay, you've got it?" He asks us.

We all nod, and walk over to our marks.

"Action!" Shawn shouts.

I am standing outside Family Video. I saw Steve and the others walking up the road from the top of the store, and rushed down to meet them.

They haven't noticed me yet, and I can see Steve talking to Nancy about something, the both of them laughing. A pang of jealousy courses through my body. What if they rekindled things out there?

Steve looks up, and notices me. A look of relief seems to wash over his face, followed by a grin. My heart warms, and my jealousy is forgotten.

Steve touches Nancy's arm, then says something as he nods towards me. She gives him a nod, and he's facing me again, when he suddenly launches into a run.

I smile as he pulls me into a tight hug, lifting me off my feet.

"Kaya," He whispers into my ear.

"Steve," I whisper back, nuzzling my face into his shoulder.

Steve pulls back and inspects my face. He rubs dirt off of my cheek, and brushes my hair out of my face. My skin tingles at his touch.

"We only got back about an hour ago," I explain.

"You're beautiful," Steve says, before embracing me again.

I missed him too, but there's something about the way he's clinging to me that makes me worry.

"What happened?" I ask him.

Steve pulls back, and touches my face. His big brown eyes staring into my soul.

"There were a few close calls. A few times when I wasn't sure I'd get to see you again, and all I wanted to do was come back and tell you," He explains to me, his words rushing together, and his voice almost hoarse as if he's holding back tears.

Although I know that the others have come out to greet Dustin, Steve and Nancy, It suddenly feels as if there is no one else here with us. I become aware of the way my chest rises and falls as I wait for him to finish.