Chapter 5- Text Messages

I'm not one of those girls who make a big deal out of hanging out with guys. In fact, aside from Mads, all my friends have consisted of mostly boys. No, I'm not some kind of slut. And no, I don't crave attention. I simply just get along better with boys. So, Niall probably thought I would freak out when he made me sit next to Zayn during the movie. Well, he was wrong.  

I handed off one bowl of popcorn and then plopped down on the couch in the empty space between Niall and Zayn.

"So... What are we going to watch?" I inquired.

"Ugh, Toy Story... Again." Harry grumbled back. I shrugged it off and ate my popcorn.

Although I was seated next to Niall and Zayn I leant on Niall, so my body was shifted away from Zayn. My phone buzzed, signifying that I had a text:

From: Unknown Number

I don't bite you know ;) xx

I quick typed up a text back:

To: Unknown Number

Umm, who is this?

I glanced up when I heard Zayn's phone go off and saw him type something. When he turned his head back to the movie it was my phones turn to go off:

From: Unknown Number

Zayn, now stop staring at me. I know I look good but still ;) xx

I quite literally laughed out loud, causing Niall to turn his attention to me. I quick saved Zayn's number before locking my phone.

"What's so funny?" Niall whispered over to me, so that only I could hear him.

"Nothing, Zayn is texting me and it was funny." I whispered back in the same

"Zayn is texting you? How did he even get your number?" Niall asked, but I could hear the underlying, suggestive tone.

"I don't actually know... I had assumed you gave it to him..." I trailed off and stopped at the sound of my phone buzzing.

From: Zayn

You know I can hear you right? And no, Niall didn't give me your number, I took it ;) xx

I glanced over at Zayn with raised eyebrows, and he winked at me. I shifted my body so I was leaning towards Zayn now.

"Is there a reason why you're texting me, even though I'm sitting right next to you?" I whispered into his shoulder.

His chest pumped up as if he held in a short chuckle. "Liam doesn't like people talking during Toy Story." After his light whisper, Zayn drew up his arm from between us and placed it around my shoulder. 'Not a big deal', I thought to myself, 'all my other guy friends put their arms around me.'

I spent the rest of the movie in that same spot. With Zayn's arm place over my shoulders.

After the movie the boys ordered pizza and we just kind of hung out. Mads was still getting over the fact that we were actually sitting in a hotel room with One Direction. Everyone was really just doing their own things: Harry was talking with Mads, Niall was pacing the kitchen waiting for pizza, Louis was throwing left over popcorn at Liam, Liam was trying to get Louis to stop, and Zayn was on his phone (surprise, surprise). Suddenly my own phone buzzed:

From Zayn:

It's boring in here come outside with me? Xx

At that I saw Zayn get up and head to the doors leading out to the balcony. 

I followed suit, and saw him leaning against the rail looking out at the view of L.A.. I went and leant on the cold rail, mimicking his position.

"Well this is lovely." I said in a sarcastic tone, even though I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

"Yup." He replied popping the 'p'. "It got a bit boring inside."

"Hence your text." I said with a chuckle.

"You're funny, Anderson." He let out a small chuckle back. And pulled out a cigarette and a lighter.

Ignoring the fact that he somehow knew my last name I changed the subject, "Yeahh... So, Malik, tell me about yourself."

He gave me a weird look, "um.. Okay.. I smoke."

My face transformed itself into a 'duh' expression, "How about telling me something that's not completely obvious."

"Nah, there's no fun in that, now is there?" He winked.

"I supposed that's true." I humphed. He just stood there and stared at me with an adorably-annoying smile on his face.

"PIZZA!!!!!" Niall screamed so loudly that we heard him from outside. But neither of us moved, I was still looking at the view and Zayn was still staring at me.

"Take a picture it lasts longer." I winked and turned around and walked back inside.

I walked back in receiving a smirk from Mads. Had Niall not been stuffing his face I'm sure I would've received one from him too.

After dinner we were all, once again, sitting in the living area. Except Zayn, I don't really know where he is. I stood up, yanking Mads up with me, "Well boys, unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so we have to leave now." I said as sadly as I could.

"J-DAWG NOOOOO!" Louis yelled.

"J-dawg?" Mads asked

I nudged her and mumbled, "Long story."  

The boys all got up and gave a group hug, with Louis fake crying in the background because he didn't want us to go.

"Um, Niall.. Our car is back at Starbuck's...." Mads led on.

"OI! I forgot, c'mon let's go then!" He face-palmed himself.

We said a last round of goodbye's and headed out.

We got back to our car, and before I started driving I checked my phone. To my surprise, I had a new text:

From: Zayn

Didn't even wait to say goodbye to me? :(

I couldn't help the smile that formed. I quickly texted back:

To: Zayn

Try not to miss me too much, Malik ;)

I put the key in the ignition and turned it. As I always do before I drive I found a good radio station before driving off. Just before I put the car in reverse I got another text:  

From: Zayn

Too late babe ;) xx