prologue part two

3 years ago...
Florida

Omniscient
Saturday in June

"Mummy, you have the card right ?" Milaya asked her mother as she jumped into her jeans.

"Yeah baby, it's here on the counter, your grandmother is on the phone, she wan know if you're coming with me to pick her up or if you're going over early."

Milaya smiled "i'll come with you."

Khadija squint her eyes at her fifteen year old daughter, she still couldn't get over the fact that her child was a full on teenager.

" I thought you were going over early, you told me that on Monday."

Milaya shrugged "Nah it's cool, i can go with you."

Khadija told her mother bye and put down the phone, she turned to her child. "You okay mama ? you've been really quiet today."

Milaya let out a soft smile "I'm good, promise, i'll go finish get ready, let me know when you're good to go."

Khadija sighed "okay baby"

They were going over to Marisa's for Nehamiah's birthday party today. Over the last 12 years since they became neighbours the two families became very close, and even closer when Jared enlisted in the Army, Khadijah, her mother and Milaya were there for Marisa and Nehamiah, they had each other , they were a family.

Nehamiah and Milaya grew to be as thick as thieves, when they were younger the two year gap meant nothing, but as time went on it started to mean something especially to Milaya.

She saw the way that people looked at her when she, at 15 would hang out with Nehamiah who is now 17, especially at school. She would try not to let it bother her, but she heard how they talked, what they called her, it was starting to crack down.

When she was over at their house earlier that week, one of his teammates from the basketball team showed up, and it just seemed like she wasn't wanted, so she left, she only proved her thoughts right when over an hour later he messaged to ask where she was.

She was trying her best not to let his and the people's behavior effect her, he was going into his senior year, the pressure of basketball and college was cracking down on him, so she was going todo what she did best, be there for him.

"Cmon lil mama i'm ready !" Khadija shout for her daughter who was back in her room.

"Coming mama" She made sure she picked up her phone and met her mother outside in the car.

She saw familiar faces from school and familiar faces from Nehamiah's family walk into the house, a big smile made it's way to her face when she made eye contact with Jared's sister, Nehamiah's aunt Leylah.

Leylah waved a blew a kiss, Milaya returned the gesture.

"You sure you don't want to go over ?" Khadija asked.

"Yes ma'am, let's go before granny start to freak out." Milaya got into the front passenger seat.

****
Hours later, the sun was setting and the party was in full swing, little children bouncing off the walls, Marisa's father who came in from St.Lucia was on the grill, cards, dominoes were being played and a mix of soca and old dub flowing through the speakers.

Milaya sat down with Nehamiah's five year old cousin, Mica, on her lap, she was napping with her head on Milaya's chest.

Her mother was inside helping tidy up, and her grandmother was sitting down at the table with any and every grandmother that ended up at the house.

She was scrolling through her phone when she heard footsteps approach, and someone sat in the chair next to her. She looked over and was met with the face of her bestfriend.

He smiled at her knowing he was probably some type of tipsy by now, his grandfather had been feeding him rum and cokes for the whole party.

"Hi friend" he smirked.

"Hi friend" Milaya laughed slightly being cautious of the sleeping child in her lap.

"come dance wit me or something dawg, i haven't seen you all day"

"Boy are you not seeing the small human on me ? I'm on aunty mimi duty, go get one of your girlfriends who been eyeing you all night."

"Mimi you jealous? you know ion have have any girlssss, just you" he smiled sweetly.

He was definitely tipsy, but what he said was true, he wasn't one to sleep around or play.

"I hear you dude, when I get up and go put her down ill come hang with you, play some uno or something." She said to her friend as she got up as carefully as she could while holding Mica.

"cmon put her in my room." Nehamiah hopped up to walk with her.

*****
As soon as Mica was placed on the bed her limbs took over.

Milaya laughed and quickly took a picture before she closed the door.

She turned towards Nehamiah who was frowning at his phone.

"You good ?" She asked walking ahead of him.

He looked up and smiled "I'm cool, cmon let's go, you owe me a game of uno, you cheated last time." He answered throwing his hand over her shoulders.

"I didn't cheat, you just can't play, you slow foreal, i really do not know how you manage."

"Shut up." He laughed.

_____________________________
hello hi, yes yes.

Chapter 1 next 🤞🏾