Chapter Sixteen

I stay on my knees weeping until a hand grips my shoulder softly.

"Mal, at least it is just the village. Most of our people got out." I raise my head and look at the scorched land.

"I know Tobin. But that was our home. You're home, specifically, for a long time. It hurts to see it destroyed." I let him take my hand and lift me upward.

"Yes, but the Village can be rebuilt . It's people we can not rebuild." He replied, turning and sweeping his hand over the crowd of villagers and warriors that had gathered behind me. Watching. My eyes grow big as I remember my mother.

"Givana," I mutter to myself. Givana! I scream racing through the crowd of broken villagers, burnt, and wounded warriors. Then there, at the back of the crowd, held by a warrior she stands, half dropped over. I run to her and wrap my arms around her. I hear a low chuckle escape her and then a hand touches my back.

"I'm here, my child. But now you must address the crowds. After all they look up to you."

"But what about the council?"

"The council has fled to safety and won't return until the rebuilding is done."

"That is so selfish." I spat out

"It is, but go Malvina, the people need you."

"But why me?" Givana raises my chin and looks at me

"Because you are one brave little girl who isn't afraid of danger. You Malvina are a leader and a hero. So it is you that needs to speak, not a warrior for they are shaking in their armor. They are afraid but you my dear are not." I stand straight and nod my head, then I race back up to the hill and stare at the crowd of mumbling villagers and warriors unsure of how to address them, but then I get an idea. Giving a shrill whistle everyone stops talking and turn they expectant eyes upon me

Um hi." I give a nervous wave. " I know that you had hoped for someone older, taller, wiser, but they aren't coming so you are stuck with me. I-I know a lot of you are scared but we will get through this, I-I mean we did get through it." I pause and take a shaky breath "I know you might not want to listen to a ten year old because we aren't smart nor an adult but what we have to do right now is move forward! We need t-to remove all the broken pieces and start afresh, we-"

"Wouldn't it be easier to relocate?" A voice shouted. I frown at this remark and pace back and forth. Then I shake my finger as I continue to pace

"Yes, it might be easier but.-" I stop my pacing and turn towards them once again. "But we are not afraid of a little danger. Those dragons won't be coming back anytime soon and if they do, then they are foolish! We will rebuild this village into a magnificent fortress, once that will not allow the dragons to harm us anymore. We will build gates and put a dome on the top! One that is see through so that we can still see the sky, we will make traps to catch the dragons before they even hit the village! And we my people! We. Will. Rise victorious!" I scream into the skyt as roars raise up and two warriors come and lift me up on their shoulders. They bring me through the crowd who touch me and cheer my name. They set me down on the rock behind Giovana.

"What do we do now Hunter?"

"Yeah! Where do we sleep?" Oh fudge. I'd forgotten about that. "Um, we um. We make a makeshift camp! We grab anything we can find that wasn't destroyed. I think at the tavern, we can use the table clothes and we can use string to tie them to trees to make tents. So go! Go and bring me back things that we can use." The crowd disperses in a flurry.

"Very well done my child."

"Thank you mother." I say with a proud smile. She strokes my cheek. "Uh mother, you really should go to the medic bay. I will be fine here with the other people."