Chapter Four

"Malvina! A dragon!!" Tobin shrieked and pointed with a shaky finger. I stood quickly and hauled him up.

"I know. You have to calm down. Please." I pleaded with him as my mind raced about where to go and what to do.

"You might think it's silly, but I'm so scared!"

"It's not silly, it's okay to be scared. But we have to remain calm if we want to survive. Alright?"

"Okay. I'll try." Just as he said that, two other dragons landed next to it. The dragon in the middle roared and a ball of flames flew over our heads. Tobin screamed and dashed away.

"Tobin no!" I shouted racing after him. But I was stopped when a dragon landed a few paces in front of me. What was I going to do? I didn't have any weapons but a small dagger in my belt. The dragons roared and a fireball flew hitting the other dragon. It roared in surprise and spit green acid out. They started to fight and I took it as my opportunity to leave. But I didn't get very far, something lashed my back, I screamed and fell down, up above me was a dark red dragon with a thin white wispy beard. It's eyes were a dark brown. I grabbed my dagger and drove it into the paw. It roared out in pain. I yanked my dagger out as it staggered back, then I ran. Tobin who had seen what happened had stopped and ran to me. He grabbed my hand.

"There's a tree we can climb. Can't you fight them?" He asked as we dashed over hills and holes. Their roars filled our ears as the ground trembled underneath us.

"NO! I don't have any of my weapons." I was scared. Really scared. I didn't have anything to save us. Tobin and I were all alone. We made it to the skinny tree, he lifted me up onto a branch. Just as we were climbing, the tree shuddered and swung, one of the dragons was trying to climb it.

"What do we do now?" Tobin shrieked again

"Um, oh look, we can swing down and land on that tree." The way the dragon had positioned the tree made a bridge to another tree. We carefully climbed over branches, hanging on with every muscle we had. We made it to the edge. I leaped, grabbed a branch and jerked forward. Something popped and pain filled my shoulder. Tobin landed on the next branch. He looked at me his face worried

"What's wrong?" He asked breathlessly.

"Nothing, we have to keep going before-." We were flung up into the air, just as fast as were in the air, we were soon flat on our backs. Tobin groaned and air rushed out of me. How were we not dead yet? I thought to myself. But I didn't have time to think. I gulped in the air, shook my head and stood up. Swaying slightly, I lifted Tobin and we began to run for it. Fireballs and acid flew around us. Purple oozing blobs landed in front of us. It was like a minefield. We dodged, jumped, crawled. Over hills, roots, rocks and rivers. The grass lit up in flames and snaked its way to the village.

"Tobin! The village!" I shouted pointing. We were going to have to stop it somehow. Looking around I remember the couple jars we still had. But then I remembered I didn't have them. My eyes caught some buckets. I ran and grabbed them, then we bagan filling them running from the river to the fire, all the while trying to dodge the dragons. Would we survive?

A shriek sounded and a blast of ice and lighting covered the ground. I dropped the bucket and ducked to the ground. It was a kreckle. It captured the fire inside it's ice. The village was safe. Looking up, I saw it watching us with eyes that seemed sad. Then it suddenly disappeared.

"Malvina! There is another tree, come on!" He grabbed my hand and we made a run for it. Why did it have to be so dark here? I couldn't see a thing. We made it to a sturdy oak. He lifted me up onto a sturdy branch. I climbed on and began climbing upward. Pain sliced through me. I looked down and saw three dragons at the base of the tree. A black one with blue eyes, another black one, but it had green shiny scales and brown eyes with three horns protruding from it's head. The last one was brown with orange and white scales and red eyes. We sat down hugging the tree. I looked at Tobin. He had dry tears on his cheeks, his face was petrified. He had a gash on his temple and a bruise on his right cheek. He turned towards me suddenly.

"Is there a way you can call the warriors? Byron?"

"Not, they wouldn't be able to hear the horn from here. I will have to try to take them out myself."

"But how?"

"By going to the lava pits." I said. His eyes widened. I took a deep breath and climbed down the back of the tree. Then I ran a few feet and let out a whistle. The dragons lifted their heads, their eyes slitted. Then they ran after me. I ran as fast as I could. The ground trembled and I faltered slightly. But I kept going, my lungs burned, but I knew that if I could draw them there, we would be okay. There was a mini trench, I knew I would have to jump across, I counted to three and jumped, but something grabbed my shirt collar., choking me slightly. I felt the breeze and smelled the stench of fire. I knew that only one thing could have grabbed me.

Looking up I saw that it was the dark red dragon with the thin wispy beard. I wiggled trying to break free from it's claws. It was no use. So I lifted my dagger and stabbed it in the leg. It cried out and let me go. BAD mistake. I plummeted towards the ground, only to be caught again, but this time by the black dragon with the blue eyes. It held my by its teeth. We came to a grassy area. It flung me down. I rolled and hit my back on a rock. Stars filled my eyes as I gasped for air. I saw their bodies come closer, one came and bowed its head towards my face, it snorted blowing my hair back, it opened its mouth up wide. I could see a green river start to come out from the back of its mouth, here is where I was going to die. I closed my eyes and waited for it to hit me, but then a horn sounded and hoofbeats echoed in my ears. The dragon screeched. I saw fuzzy figures fighting the dragons. A figure came to me

"Malvina! Are you alright?" A distorted voice asked

"She will be fine, Gavina." It was Gavina! But who was the other voice

"Are sure Byron?"

"Yes, she is a strong Hunter." It was my family. I was going to be okay. Tobin and I were saved! I was pulled against something hard and warm. Then my body began rocking back and forth. My eyes closed, the voice sounded again

"You're going to be just fine Malvina." It echoed in my head as the sound of bellowing dragons filled my ears as I passed out.