Chapter Fourteen

The border is a bloody mess, blood pools from dragons and humans. My stomach clenches at the sight. Tobin has stopped a few feet back

"Tobin let's go." He nods his head and walks towards me. His eyes are wide with fright.

"I'm scared Malvina." I take his hand and face him.

"I know you are. But you can do it. I mean I'm only ten, you're twelve I'm the one who should be scared." I gave him a smile and squeezed his hand. Then we headed to one of the warriors, he's got a gash along his cheek, his sword slick with blood.

"What's going on?"

"The dragons breached the borders. They've killed five of us, Becken is taking a group of dragons towards the lava pits. Young man, why don't you go help him." Tobin nods his head, hops on a horse and heads towards the lava pits

"What do you need from me?"

"I need you to-"

"Sir! A dragon headed towards the village."

"That Hunter is what you can do. Kill it before it kills." I bowed to him and hopped on a horse. My butt bouncing up and down as I spurred the horse faster and faster. The wind whipped at my face and my ribs began to hurt from the jostle of the horse. There up ahead was the village and smoke. The dragon had beat me. I slowed the horse and hopped off walking silently on my feet. I notched an arrow and entered the village, the villagers were working together to put out fires, it was the worst nightmare of my life. I turned in a slow circle and saw the damage the evil creature had done.

"Malvina!" I hear a shriek. Turning, I see Lexi there, she points behind me with a shaky hand. I turned and saw a long snouted dragon behind a hut. It's scales were brown and ugly, it had two horns protruding from the top of it it's head, the color of green ivy.

"Stay still Lexi." But I'm too late, she screams running from me. The dragon snorts and whisks of green smoke appears from its nose. Then it lifts a mighty paw and stomps on the hut. It begins to chase Lexi, but I'm rooted with fear. Someone grabs my shoulders and shakes me violently

"Dragon Hunter, you need to go." I focus my vision and see Gavina. I catch my breath and then turn and run. I hop onto the horse and chase after it. My heart beating in time with the hoofbeats. I see no wings on the dragon when I catch up, meaning it's flightless. I charge past it and scoop up Lexi, putting her in front of me. Then I notch an arrow and let it fly, I strike it once, twice, then three times. It falls to the ground with a mighty thud, not killing anyone. Smoke rises and Lexi coughs.

"Are you alright?" I look down into her pale blue eyes

"Y-yes, shaky and scared, but yes. I'm sorry I didn't listen."

"It's alright, let's get you back to your parents." I ride back to the village, two warriors are there now

"Hunter, we need to evacuate the village. Take them to the field. A whole hoard is coming this way."

"Yes warrior." They send the people my way on horses and wagons. I lead them to the fields, where they begin to set up tents to stay sheltered from the heat. Then I head back to the fight wondering if this will ever be over.

By the time I reach the border, Ina, the horse I borrowed is wet with sweat from the vigorous ride. More dragons lay in bloody messes. A dragon falls with a thud in front of me. Ina, whinny's and stands up on her hind legs

"Whoa girl, whoa." I calm her down and see a Warrior descend the tree

"You alright?"

"Yes, where to next?"

"Becken needs assistance. Take a new horse though. She needs to rest. I believe we brought your horse, He's tied over there.' I nod and hop off of Ina then head over to StarFire. I ride towards the lava, watching the warriors and Hunters fight to the bloody death of either themselves or the dragon. As I make it the lavva pits which are hissing with steam, I see a body upahead and for a moment, I fear its topbn. I hop off of star fire and go to the body. It is not him, I sigh with relief. As I stay on the ground, I look about, hunters lay in a scattered mess, near the pits, I see Becken fighting a Slayer, with adrenaline, I hop onto StarFire and urge him forward. With a battle cry, I throw a poin grenade. The dragon roars but falls, Becken shoves him into the pits.

"Thank you Hunter."

"Of course. Where is Tobin?"

"What do you mean?"

"He was sent here to help you." I say worry lacing my voice

"What!? Are you sure? Why is he even here?"

"Because I told Byron he was fine."

"Why would you say that?" Becken asks growling.

"Because I've been training him secretly."

"I see. But why would he be here?"

"Because one of the warriors sent him here to help you."

"Damn it." Becken shouted.

"I'm sorry."

"Never mind the sorry's. Find him Malvina. Find him now. We've got cavalry on the way." I turned and saw warriors come flying in.

"I will sir." With a beating heart for his safety, I began my search for Tobin.