Chapter Twelve

I awake to a bright light hitting my eye, like when the sun shines through the curtains. A sound penetrates through the curtain of white

"Will she be alright?"

"Yes, she should be waking up soon. The poison is out of her system now." With a soft groan I open my eyes. I see Gavina's soft kind face break into a tired smile.

"Mal?" I hear another voice say. I turn to my right and see Tobin. His face is anxious and his eyes puffy from lack of sleep.

"Hello Tobin." I reply softly. His face breaks into a smile. He wraps his arms around me which makes me groan from pain

"Careful Tobin." Gavina scolds as Tobin lets go quickly

"Sorry. Are you thirsty?" I nod my head yes. He leaps away. Gavina comes and takes my hand

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, just tired." She nodded her head.

"Yes, the Slayers poison does that. But only if one were to survive. Like you've done." She smiles and sits on the edge of the bed.

"Is Tobin's father angry with me?"

"Of course not! If anything he's been with the village prayers praying for your recovery. He comes every morning to come visit you. He brought you all those flowers." She nodded and I sat up slowly and looked at all the bright flowers that decorated the room. I smiled slightly.

"Will you get him?" Gavina nodded and left. Tobin came back in with a cup of water. He helped me sit up and I took a sip.

"No offense Mal, but I thought Hunters were supposed to be indestructible." He said shaking his head

"Oh Tobin! If we were indestructible we would probably be cast out for having some sort of voodo or magic. Plus, those who have fallen wouldn't get the remembrance that they do today. Someday Tobin, there will be a statue of me in the Hall of An iontach."

"I suppose. But hopefully you won't end up there for a long time."

"Tobinson." Gavina's voice calls. We turn and see her there with Becken behind her looking down at the floor. Tobin gives my hand a squeeze and leaves with Gavina. Becken walks slowly in and takes a seat on the chair which creaks with his weight.

"Malvina, there are not enough words to tell you I'm sorry. It's my fault this happened and I-I shouldn't have been so forceful with you. I shouldn't have said that I wanted you to prove that you were a great Hunter. I was just being a selfish hard nosed man who didn't like that a ten year old was even remotely better than I-." He paused and took a breath. His face downcast and somewhat angry. "I wish that I could take that day back, but I can't, and so before I leave town, I just wanted to say that you've done more than prove yourself, I have asked for you to become a warrior and to become a member of the counsel."

"Becken, it is alright. Sometimes our selfishness does get in the way of doing right, but in the end, it all turns out. I am here and alive today because of your quick thinking of getting me-us out of there. Thanks to you I had the adventure of a lifetime. Sure it wasn't fun at times, but I was able to be in the presence of a great leader-you. Please don't leave town on my account, you are needed here, your son needs you. And as much as I want to be a warrior, there will be nothing more rewarding for me  to see your son become one." Beckens head jerked up.

"Is that what he wants? To become a warrior?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't he tell me?"

"He's tried sir." I watched his face fall. He rose quickly and left. Maybe Becken wasn't as bad as I thought he was.

"Knock knock." I turned and saw Tyson there.