Chapter 47 ~ Her perspective

Start from the beginning

"I think I'm having a flashback. I saw my handler. He had shackles and my collar. He wanted to take me back there." Reyna was growing more panicked by the second. Her hand moved to her back as if searching for wounds that weren't there.

"Reyna, you have to breathe. No one is coming to take you away. I'm going to put you back into your body now, and I need you in the present. Can you do that?" Strange asked, trying for a calm tone, but his voice wavered. Reyna's flickering and freaked eyes found Strange's collected but worried ones. She took a few deep, shaky breaths and managed to nod. A second later, she was pulled back into her body and woke up with a start and a gasp. Her head snapped around, searching for threats until she found the doctor. That haunted expression on Reyna's face as she looked up at him would forever be imprinted in Stephen's memory. The doctor had seen so many types of trauma, all gruesome and horrifying, but always physical. Never had he seen something like this; her fleeting gaze searching the room, her labored breathing, her convulsing body, her fidgeting hands, and her inability to move from her hunched-over position. She was going through severe bodily and mental distress, and Stephen had no idea how to help her. He tried to reach out a hand to touch her, but she jerked away from him before he could make contact.

"No, don't touch me. I'll slip. Someone gets hurt," Reyna choked out between devastating sobs. She was terrified, he realized. Not of someone hurting her or taking her away or anything like that. No, she was terrified of herself. Of losing control of all those incredible abilities they had discussed for hours the previous night. She was in a foreign place without the people she knew could stop her if she lost control or anyone to comfort her after an episode like this. And he couldn't help her.

"What can I do, Reyna?" He asked, growing anxious himself. Reyna shook her head, trying desperately to get her body and mind under control.

"I need something. Something... Something stable to focus on. I can't hurt anyone. Not again. Not again. I'll kill someone. I don't want to hurt them." Reyna was barely keeping herself together at this point. Stephen spun around to find an object or anything for Reyna to focus on. Then he remembered something she said when they first came to the library. I can drain my essence to create things. Maybe it could work.

"Reyna, where's your sword?" He asked in a hurry, but Reyna shook her head. It didn't have a physical form at the moment. "Can you conjure it?" She nodded shakily. She took a few deep breaths, held out her hands, and ever so slowly, her blade anxiously flickered into existence. Her eyes instantly honed in on the dark double-edged sword, her body stopped shaking, and the uneasy flickering in her bright irises started to subside.

"You already know what to do. Do you want me to stay here or leave you alone?" Stephen mumbled to himself before directing the question to Reyna.

"Stay, please. In case... something." Reyna was too focused on her blade to string sentences together, but Strange got the message: In case I lose control.

"You won't hurt anyone, Reyna. Take your time. I'll be here," he reassured her. He sat down at the small table by the foot of the bed, effectively giving Reyna privacy without actually leaving the room. After what felt like an eternity, Reyna finally felt herself resettle in the present. The out-of-body experience had thrown her off balance even worse than a usual flashback would, and it had taken far longer than expected to get out of the episode. What she couldn't understand was why just that scene had triggered her so badly. Usually, she could collect herself within a few minutes, but now it felt like she had been sitting there, staring at Enyo for so long. An hour, maybe? She didn't know. The Latina couldn't tell the difference between a minute and a second if she tried. Once she deemed it safe to move her gaze, she looked up at Stephen. She managed a laugh at his worried expression and how he nervously picked at his robes as he tried to focus on anything other than Reyna.

"I don't think anyone has ever seen you this concerned, doctor," she teased. Never had she seen someone jump so high in fright. His gaze fell upon her like he thought she would attack him at any moment, but once he saw her mischievous smirk, he relaxed with an irritated huff.

"Yes, because if you ruin the grounds, I'll get the blame for it," he complained, rubbing his hands up and down his face. Reyna's smirk grew wider. She could tell he was relieved that she was alright despite his irritated tone.

"You are allowed to be sincere, you know?" She chuckled, tilting her head to the side.

"Ha-ha, very funny," Strange deadpanned, rolling his eyes while Reyna simply laughed at his antics. "How are you feeling?" He asked a moment later, cracking a small smile himself. He was definitely relieved.

"Like shit, as always, but I'll manage. What's the time?"

"7:20 am."

"10 minutes to spare, that's a first," Reyna commented, surprised.

"Shouldn't you be taking it easy for a minute?" Stephen asked with a raised brow.

"Eh, if I take it easy, the thoughts and memories take over again. I find it's better to be distracted from them, and I reckon there will be plenty of distractions where I'm going." Reyna shrugged her shoulders.

"Oh, stop it," Stephen cringed. Reyna giggled when she realized the double meaning.

"I am completely innocent. Your mind is dirty, doctor. Mine is not," the mutant scolded playfully.

"Yes, it is," Strange assured her.

"Yes, it is," Reyna relented, drawing a laugh from the doctor.

"Come on then. If we're lucky, we might even be on time." Stephen stood and offered his hand to Reyna to take. She looked up at him for a moment before her characteristic fox-like smile took its place on her features. She took his hand, letting him help her from the bed.

"Such a shame to ruin an intimate moment like this. Don't you agree?" The mutant inquired slyly, walking two fingers up his chest. She maintained eye contact for a long moment before Stephen remembered that breathing was necessary. He swatted her hand away and rolled his eyes.

"Oh, stop it." Reyna giggled as the sorcerer picked up her backpack and gave it to her before turning and basically dragging the laughing woman out of the room. He soon let go of her, and they spent the next few minutes that it took to make their way to the training grounds, discussing the plan and jesting back and forth. Soon enough, they made it to the courtyard where Wong stood waiting for them.

"Are you ready for your trip?" The librarian asked. Reyna took a deep breath, straightened her back, and gave him a quick smile.

"As ready as I'll ever be, I suppose. You made sure they don't know I'm coming?" She asked, brows furrowing as she looked at the two men.

"Of course. Your friends are making their way to the New York sanctum as we speak," Wong assured her. Strange had moved a few paces to their right and was doing some sort of circle with his hands as sparks spiraled to create a portal.

"Splendid."

"Do you have everything?" Stephen asked when his portal was complete, turning to face Reyna and Wong again.

"If I don't, then I will. Goodbye, doctor. Wong. Thank you for your help," Reyna bid them with a bow of her head. She picked up her bag and slung it over her shoulder.

"We hope you will be joining us here at Kamar-Taj soon again, Reyna," Wong bid her.

"Hopefully, it won't be long," Reyna smiled. Wong nodded and returned the smile.

"The pleasure is on our side, siren. Good luck with the reunion!" Stephen wished her. He took a step back and threw out his hand toward the portal.

"Thank you. It will probably be needed," the mutant chuckled as she stepped a foot through the portal, but before she could step through completely, Stephen spoke up.

"If anything happens, or you need any help, just let me know."

"I will," Reyna smiled softly. Strange nodded once. The Latina took one last look around the beautiful grounds before finally stepping through the glowing portal. Leaving the freezing Himalayas and entering the slightly less freezing forest greens of the compound grounds.