Chapter 6 ~ The Mission

Recap:

Maybe, just maybe, he could finally be a part of something. Something bigger than himself.

"Avengers, I have a mission for you," Fury announced as he entered the kitchen where the team had gathered for dinner two weeks after the spar fiasco. This time, the miracle of the whole team being in the same space at the same time occurred because Loki had prepared the meal. He had some help from Wanda on how the kitchen worked, but other than that, he made it all on his own. It was a dish that both he and Thor adored back home on Asgård; Hángikjöt, a meal consisting of smoked and boiled lamb served with green peas, sauce, and bread. The team seemed to love it just as much as the brothers did.

"What have you found, director?" Nat asked from her place between Wanda and Clint.

"My agents have found something that is called The Palace. It's a slavering where the prisoners entertain the guests, Jabba the Hutt style. From what they've gathered, the main act and most prized possession is a supposed mutant with magic like our little witches here," he explained, gesturing to Loki and Wanda. Loki's expression contorted slightly at the little witch comment, but he kept quiet, retorting to glaring lightly at the director.

"Jabba the Hut?" Steve asked with an eyebrow raised. Bucky, Thor, and Loki mirrored the Captain's expression, just as clueless about the reference.

"Star Wars character. I'll show you a video later," Sam promised quietly earning a few appreciative nods from the others.

"According to our source, they have connections to HYDRA. We think the entertainers are either scrapped experiments or have some other history with the organization, and the income gathered from the performances is used to fund more experimentation," Fury continued. Of course, the mention of HYDRA brought Steve and Bucky's full attention to it.

"What about this supposed mutant. Anything else we should know about it? What's its deal?" Rhodey asked before taking another bite of his food.

"Everything we know about the mutant and the Palace, as well as blueprints is on this hard drive. You can discuss the details later, but I expect a mission report in two weeks. Good luck," Fury clarified, tossing a small USB drive to Tony before walking out without another word.

"Alright. Let's eat up, and when everyone's finished, we'll have a meeting on plans going forward," Steve decided, taking charge as always.

"Sounds good to me. Can someone pass the peas?" Clint asked.

Once they finished their meals, Steve herded everyone to the meeting room so that they could discuss their next mission. Once everyone was seated, Tony walked to the front, connected the drive to his holographic screens, and brought up the files.

"This Palace Fury talked about is located just north of St. Luis. It's a huge, five-story mansion with three floors above ground and two below. The two at the top are the living quarters of one Alice Fortescue, the brain of this place. She manages everything. Everything from buying and selling entertainers and experiments to crafting the programs of the shows," Tony explained as he pulled up a picture of an elegant but stern-looking woman in her early forties. She had graying brown hair pulled back in a tight French twist, porcelain white skin pulled over sharp features, and icy blue eyes that sparkled with a sadistic glint that didn't go unnoticed by anyone.

"Then, on the first and main floor is the main bar and ballrooms, if you will. It's where they hold all the festivities and the performances take place," Tony continued, pulling up more and more holograms to show each part. "The basement is a whole other story. It's where they conduct the experiments, brainwashing, and all that fun stuff. The first floor below the ground is where all cells are, where they keep their toys and experiments, cellblock after cellblock. We don't know that much about the bottom level, though. Fortescue has managed to keep it completely off the radar. It's most likely labs and stuff like that."