Chapter 40

"M-Morrible?!" I said in shock.

"That's right, Miss. E-"

"Actually, it's Mrs. Elphaba, I'm married now, thank you very much," I said sternly. "And where's Fiyero and my daughter?!" By this time I was yelling, but I didn't realize it until she answered.

"There is no need to yell Mrs. Elphaba. You needn't know where your loved ones are being kept. Why, they don't even know you're here."

"Tell me where they are!" I hissed.

"Why should I? It's not like you're going to escape those chains around your wrist," she chuckled, motioning her hand to the chains that were keeping me back from strangling her.

"I said, 'Tell me where they are!'" I looked her in the eyes with my eyes probably looking as if I'm just about ready to somehow break these chains and kill her.

"Don't be silly, you wicked witch," she stepped towards me and smirked, "you couldn't break free of those steel chains even if you tried."

"You lay a finger on my family and I-"

"You'll what?" she asked. "You'll send your pathetic flying monkeys over here to get me?" She chuckled her evil elderly chuckle as she walked out and slammed the door to the little cell.

I slid my back down the cold brick walls of the cell, trying to come up with a way to at least save Fiyero and Ginama. Then a loud yelp was heard and, that was it, I was determined to get out of this tiny cell and rescue my family.

I stood up and quietly began to chant a spell that I had memorized from the Grimmerie while pulling at the chains. Snap, the chain around my left wrist broke. "One more left," I whispered to myself. I caught my breath and began to chant again. Snap, after about 20 minutes of chanting, the final chain had finally broke.

I quickly but quietly grabbed my bag and broom, put my hood on top of my head so Morrible wouldn't notice me in this dark basement, then rushed out of the cell to find Fiyero and Ginama.