Chapter 30

You were comfortably snuggled in your bed, watching the terrible sequel of one of your favourite movies, next to a very comfortable too Scaramouche. Why is it always like that, the first movie is a masterpiece and then everything goes downhill?

The sun was already rising as the light started to come inside your bedroom through the blinders. Maybe because you weren't exactly intrigued by the movie, maybe because you didn't close an eye during the whole night, or maybe because you just felt safe next to the boy, you started to feel your eyes close by themselves.

After some silence, a whole ten minutes from the last comment on the film, you heard his voice, almost whispering, near your ear once again "Lift your back for a second."

You obliged, but you couldn't help but wonder why he asked such a thing. He moved his arm to the side, and pulling on your pajamas he made you fall on it. Before you could even realize what was happening, you were already in his arms with your head on his shoulder. and he was still watching the movie like he did nothing.

"Sleep. You need it" his voice seemed loud and distorted now that you were laying on him.

<<Sleep? If I was sleepy a while ago I'm totally awake now>> you thought, while getting up seated next to Scaramouche. He didn't move a muscle, only looking up at you with questioning blue eyes "What?"

"You know..." you started. You wanted to ask him a question to clarify some thoughts that were in your head for some time now. They made you feel uncomfortable from time to time, not with him but rather with yourself for how absurd they seemed. But you started overthinking and no word came out of your mouth.

"If you don't talk I can't understand you, I don't have the ability to read minds"

"Give me some time! I need to phrase it well, don't want to create misunderstandings..."

"A deep sight left his lips as he rolled his eyes and stared at the ceiling for a second "Listen-"

"No, no, no, wait let me talk" you interrupted him, and he met your eyes once again, letting you know that you had his full attention. "I know it's not like that, I know that ok? But sometimes you act like.. You do things that make me think... it almost seems like.. like you care about me. A lot. Oh my archons, how do I say that...? Sometimes it almost seems like you think of me as more than a friend, and I know it's not like that, I know that ok? It's just.. I don't know, I know it but I want to hear you say it anyway. Like, you're doing all this for me, now you're even hugging me to sleep, but you would do it for anyone else too, right? If instead of me it was Yoimiya involved in all this Fatui thing, now you would be at her place, in her bed, right? I do not think you might like me, like 'like like' me, I don't think that, ok? What is there to like anyway? And I would not want that either, so please don't be grossed out, I do think we are just friends and I really like how deep our friendship is becoming still being a friendship, I know all that, I just-"

"Would you stop rambling so much? I got it, I got it. I never thought you would be the type to think someone would fall in love with you anyway, with that so fucking low self esteem you have. You're wrong, but I also know changing your mind would be damn difficult. But, I cannot answer your question as of now. I'm sorry, I promise I will make it clear soon, you have my word. For now, can we just keep going like this?"

"What is that supposed to mean...?"

Another deep sight, and he covered his eyes with his delicate hands. The movie was still going, but none of you were remotely paying any attention to it.

"Don't worry about it" he muttered in between his hands.

"I wasn't worried before, but if you say that I do get worried. What is going on, why can't you just say 'Yeah, you're right, I see you just as a friend. No way there would even be more'? I don't want you to see me differently and I'm not expecting other things, I do know we are just friends and I want that only, so why can't you just say it?"