Chapter 41: Memories

Start from the beginning

He was seeing everything through Vao's eyes, his memories. He could see himself sitting on top of Ruby, plunging a dagger into her chest. He could see himself severing his father's head from his shoulders, devouring the body like a depraved animal. He could see himself tearing Raven's eyes out, eating them hungrily. And finally, he could see himself holding the cold body of his dead mother, screaming at her for forgiveness.

He knew where he was now. He was viewing his memories. They were standing in Patch. Vao was about to assault their childhood home, burn everything to the ground. Vao groaned, slamming his head into the dirt. Y/N could feel everything Vao felt. Not just emotionally, but physically too. His stomach was screaming, hurting his insides. Y/N had never felt a worse pain in his life. Not even losing his arm and legs hurt this much. It was as if his body was put into a furnace, forever burning yet never able to die. The pain dropped Y/N to the ground, his screams cut off with raspy, weak breaths.

Vao slowly rose to his feet, his expression beginning to change, to mold. The corners of his mouth twitched, pulling up and widening into a deranged, psychotic smile.

"I-it hurts... It... I-It..." Vao gripped the sides of his head, pulling at his ankle-length hair hard, tearing black clumps from his scalp. "I... I'm so... S-so f-fucking hungry...!"

Y/N staggered to his feet, his memories beginning to return. He had to stop Vao. He had to stop Vao from reaching their childhood home. He tried to tackle Vao, but the murderer was already sprinting into the forest, his axe drawn and ready, laughing hysterically. Y/N tried to keep up with him, but Vao was much faster. Y/N growled, recognizing his surroundings. He skidded to a halt and ran to his left, leaping over ditches and fallen trees. He could see the light through the trees, and finally spotting the log cabin in the distance. He shot out from the trees like a comet, making a mad dash for the front door.

He was hoping he could interact with someone. To stop this memory before he remembered something he didn't want to. But when he tried to pound on the door, he only fell through it, landing heavily on the floor inside.

Tai was preparing a meal, setting down the plates for Qrow, Yang, Velvet, Weiss, and a blinded Raven. Leaning against the wall was a tied and gagged Cinder, and beside her was a kid he had never seen before. Y/N stood to his feet, bringing his voice to a scream.

"Get out! Get out of the house! Vao's coming!"

But no matter how loud he screamed, his voice was never heard. After all, you can't change a memory.

The wall exploded in flame, the wood crumbling to pieces. Everyone in the kitchen screamed in horror, staring into the darkness outside. Y/N could hear the giggling, and then he saw him.

His appearance alone was horrifying. Y/N never thought he could be petrified by Vao, but now he wasn't sure. As he stepped into the firelight, his features were illuminated as clear as day. His horribly pale skin, his long, disheveled black hair, and that terrifying scarlet eye that stared them down like a predator. The Aura in his eye socket sparked like a flame, arcing over his head as he began to scream.

"I'm going to devour every last one of you!"

Qrow leapt into action, his Harbinger already drawn. The two began to clash while everyone else ran up the stairs, Cinder finally freeing herself from her gag and screaming for Vao to follow. Y/N watched as Vao moved faster than anything he had seen before, stabbing Qrow in the chest with his dagger. The Huntsman dropped to his knee, gasping for air. Vao loomed over him, drool cascading from his lips like a waterfall. Qrow let out a furious cry and body checked him, scrambling desperately for the stairs. Vao rolled back to his feet, following close behind.