Chapter 7: Shadows Creep

Y/N sat on the grass, staring up at the clouds. He was wishing he brought headphones or something; Sasha and Vao were arguing.

"You stole that wallet!"

"The fuck are you talking about, bruv? I didn't steal anything! I'm a good little boy!"

"I watched you! Give it back, now!"

"That's just fuckin' wild, innit? Make me, Biceps!"

Y/N watched as Vao suddenly soared into his view, flying into the old fortress wall. He landed in a crumpled heap, his prosthetic leg popping off his leg stump and falling to the ground with a thud. When Y/N looked at his partner, he could tell she was pissed. Steam billowed out of her nostrils like a bull.

"Don't make fun of my size!" She screamed at him. "You're just jealous you can't gain any muscle!"

"Yeah, Vao! What the fuck!" Cardin jumped in. The drunk pointed at him accusingly.

"You're my friend, why are you against me!?" When Cardin didn't answer, Sasha wrapped her palm around the ginger's shoulder.

"Because he's mine, now!" Sasha declared. Vao and Cardin went silent, while Sasha just grinned proudly. It seemed she didn't know what could be implied. Vao battled his eyelashes.

"Oh, okay! That's cute!" He gushed. Suddenly his face turned sour. "Now quit the love dove shite and pick up me fookin' leg."

"Love dove...?" Sasha muttered to herself. Cardin walked forward, bright red, and picked up Vao's prosthetic.

"Why, thank you Cardin. I knew you were my frie-"

CLANG!

Y/N winced when Cardin clobbered Vao over the head with his own leg, knocking him out cold. He dropped the artificial limb on top of the snoring delinquent, walking away angrily.

The katana-user sighed, laying his head back down. His group hadn't found anything. Weiss ended up bringing back a book that she thought was interesting, but that was it. Nearby, Verde was stroking her brush against the easel, her green eyes focused on the array of colors. Weiss was off speaking to Cardin and Sasha, and Vao... Vao was probably dead. Blood was oozing from his head at this point.

"... There's nothing to do!" He groaned.

"Use your imagination," Verde answered immediately. Y/N as at up, looking at the artist. "Use my imagination for what? Verde, let's chat!"

Verde contemplated splashing him with her paint. She decided against it - injuring her teammates wouldn't do any good. "What do you want to talk about?" She asked after a moment.

Y/N looked thoughtful. "... Um, do you play video games?" He asked. Verde shrugged.

"I never played a video game before coming here. Vao showed me how to play yesterday. He bragged about how many years of experience he has over me and claimed he was unbeatable, then lost every round we played."

"Yeah... Vao sucks at video games. He's only good at drinking and fighting," Y/N agreed. He looked back up at Verde. "Well... You pick the topic."

Verde nodded, her paintbrush gliding across the paper. "Is there anyone you're attracted to?" She asked bluntly.

Y/N turned bright red. "V-Verde, what are you trying to ask me?"

The painter looked at him like he was stupid. "I know, I'm fabulous. But I'm not attracted to you, Y/N. I was wondering if there was anyone you liked."

Y/N calmed down, thinking. Before long though, he just shrugged. "I dunno, I haven't given it much thought."