03. 🗯️🦋

03.
arguments and butterflies
_____

Almost immediately, Denver's mood went sour when Nico's eyes flickered in recognition at the sight of him. He shoved Jov's helmet to the guitarist's hands and said a plain goodbye to Stell before stomping out of the resto.

Denver knew he was walking at a quick pace towards the parking lot but Nico seemed to be walking faster than he was. The man was already beside him when he approached Dusty, his modified 2021 Kawasaki W175.

"Susi?" A palm spread in front of Denver, asking for his keys.

Kunot-noo niyang tiningnan ito at ang may-ari ng palad. "Motor mo, Nicolai Suson? Kung makahingi 'to." Iiling iling niyang tinulak papunta sa gilid and gitarista. He went to his bike to take his helmet and strap it onto his chin. But then, Nico pushed his hands away, taking over.

"Hirap hirap mo talagang suyuin, Nase. Ako na nga kasi."

Too near, the sirens on Denver's head blared in alarm. Nico was dangerously near as he strapped the helmet under his chin. The dangerous mixture of smoke and mint fanning against Denver's skin made the butterflies in his stomach flutter in mayhem.

"Marunong ka pala n'yan," Denver retorted above the loud banging against his chest. "'Yung manuyo."

Nico nodded, eyes focused on the task at his hands. "'Di mo lang ako binibigyan ng chance."

Denver felt both relief and disappoinment when Nico stepped back to study his work. Tila ba nagulat ang puso ni Denver sa biglang pagpasok ng hangin sa kaniyang baga nang sa wakas ay tumalikod na si Nico sa kaniya. He didn't know he was holding his breath until he was almost gasping for air.

"Tara na," Nico said a while later, already riding the bike with Jov's helmet on.

"Kakasuhan kita ng pagnanakaw, Suson, makikita mo. Bakit ikaw magdadrive eh motor ko yan!" Hinampas pa niya ito sa braso sa inis.

"Uminom ka," Nico plainly reasoned out, reaching for Denver's hand to slightly tug him nearer. "Sakay na."

Hindi sumagot si Denver. Mabigat ang loob niya babang umaangkas sa likod nito dahil may point ang gitarista. After that beer he drank during their second set break, he drank a few more. Lumapit kasi kay Nico iyong mga customer na nagrequest ng solo performance kanina. Denver didn't say anything, but he was watching them from the counter.

Denver was snapped back to reality when Nico took his hands to wrap around his waist. Habang nakasimangot, inalis niya rin naman ang kaniyang mga kamay nang bitawan ang mga ito ni Nico. "Paandarin mo na," sabi niya na lang.

Siguro'y naramdaman naman ni Nico ang pagkainis niya kaya hindi na ito nag-insist. They rode in silence.

At two in the morning, there were only a few cars on the road. The usually busy streets buzzed only occasionally when cars and motorcycles like Dusty zoomed past closed infrastructures and dimly lit streetlights.

It was rather calming, Denver thought. He closed his eyes to feel the cold air. He relaxed for a while.

Later, a voice called to him.

"Dever?"