004. changed lives

Start from the beginning

But Natalie really hated John after it... and Dean. Dean, who had no issue following his father's abortion orders, agreeing that a baby and pregnancy would be a burden. But Dean fought against his father for his kid. So why couldn't he fight for Natalie?

"I'll see you later." Sam gently pats his sister on her shoulder, knocking her out of her trance. Natalie quietly clears her throat and nods.

"Yeah. Yeah, see you later." Natalie mumbles. Sam gives her a concerned look, but it turns into an understanding one when he remembers everything.

"Sam?" Dean calls and Sam turns back to him. "You know, we made a hell of a team back there -- all three of us."

"Yeah." Sam agrees.

"Yeah, sure." Natalie mumbles. Sam continues to return to his home as Dean drives off.

They're halfway to where Natalie lives when the radio turns to static. Natalie looks up from stroking Ophelia's hair and looks at the radio.

"That wouldn't happen to be a normal occurrence, would it?" Natalie asks.

"No." Dean answers. "Fuck." He makes a sharp U-turn which wakes Ophelia up.

~ ~ ~

Sam makes his way inside and shuts the front door behind him.

"Jess? You home?" Sam calls, making sure his voice isn't too loud as Libby should be asleep by now. Sam sees a plate of chocolate chip cookies with a note on top.

Missed you! Love you!

Sam looks at the little scribbles below it, knowing Libby is responsible for them and he chuckles. Sam takes a cookie and goes to his room, finding Libby asleep and lying sideways next to the pillows.

Sam leans down and brushes some hair out of her face. He gently kisses her cheek before looking towards the bathroom where he hears the shower running.

Sam sits at the end of the bed before resting on his back and shutting his eyes as he finishes his cookie.

Sam feels something drip onto his forehead making him flinch. It happens two more times and he finally opens his eyes, gasping in horror. Jess is pinned to the ceiling with a gash across her stomach.

"No!" Sam yells. Jess bursts into flames, the fire spreading across the ceiling.

"Sam!" Dean yells after kicking the door in, him and Natalie rushing in.

"Jess!" Sam yells, using one arm to protect his face from the flames and he scooted back so he's covering Libby. The young girl wakes up due to the sudden heat and looks up, screaming.

"Sam! Sam!" Dean yells. He stops short, seeing Jess on the ceiling. Natalie freezes, her jaw falling open at the sight of her best friend burning.

"No! No!" Sam yells.

Dean grabs Sam off the bed and pushes him to the door. Dean picks up the sobbing two year old up.

"Nat? Nat!" Dean shouts, shaking her. "Take her." He hands Libby to Natalie who is still half out of it, but she manages to grab her niece, holding her closely, the toddler sobbing.

Dean grabs Natalie's arm, dragging her out of the apartment as he shoves Sam out.

Once they get outside, there's already a small group of people out. Sam stopped struggling against Dean, watching the flames. Dean almost falls back when he feels a sudden weight crash into him. He looks down, seeing the top of his daughter's head.

Dean and Natalie had both told Ophelia to stay in the car before they rushed inside.

Dean comfortingly places his hand on top of his daughter's head.