Chapter Eight

" Ma'am is there something I can do to help you." A man's voice asked. Polen jumped at the intrusion,   she looked around quickly. " Oh no, I was just looking at this boat. It's very nice. Is this the boat that belongs to the Divit's?" She said, nervously running her fingers through her hair. 

      The gentleman smiled, " Why yes it is. But how would you know that." He replied, beginning to get that uneasy feeling. Polen knew when to turn on the charm, so she laughed and flipped her long silky hair over to one shoulder, giving the man a once over look. " Mrs. Divit is an old friend. I have been meaning to come and visit for a long time now, but things kept getting in  the way. That is until now." Polen told him, as she moved closer to the man. 

      " Do you know how to get to their island?" She asked leaning in a little closer to him as if she was going to tell him a secret. " I would really like to surprise them with a visit." The man stepped back from her,  narrowing his eyes to look at her, " I do, but I believe they are away for the weekend. Maybe you should wait until Monday, that's when the ferry will return from Chania."  He replied cautiously. 

      Polen folded her arms, giving him a look of disgust, " Well what if I want to leave something for them. Would you be willing to take me there. I will pay you for your services of course." She spoke harshly,  her voice sounding quite agitated.

       " Look, Sanem and I,.. Mrs Divit,.. are old friends. I just want to leave a note for her. I'm so sorry that I missed them. But I will be returning to the mainland on the ferry to Kythira in the morning.  This may be my only chance to see their beautiful island that she has told me so much about." Polen placed her hand on the man's shoulder and gently let it glide down his arm.

      Luca came jogging down the beach toward Can and the kids, " Can, good to see my friend." He called out as he got closer. Can stuck out his hand to welcome his friend, " Luca, you finally made it." He said shaking his hand vigorously before giving him a big bear hug. " It's been a while my friend, glad you had time to visit." Luca replied. 

      The two men sat down on the big blanket that covered the white sand. " I see the women are already engrossed in their own little world down there." He said, looking down the beach a ways at his friend and his wife. Can laughed, " Yes, we will probably be bachelors this weekend. They always have a lot to talk about."  Both men watched the women as they strolled arm and arm down the beach, knowing how lucky they both were.

      Luca clapped his hands together, " So what's new with you. Anything exciting going on that island of yours? He asked, always in awe of this man. Can nodded, " Yes, well in fact there is something new, for Sanem and myself. It seems the small school in Antikythera want Sanem and I to teach a class or two this year. They are planning on bringing over a few students from Kythira to study on the island. I would teach some photography and Sanem would offer some writing classes." He explained.

      Luca slapped Can on the back, " Congratulations, they couldn't have gotten anyone more qualified than you for that job. And Sanem would be great at teaching. Does that mean She is finally going to let your babies go to school?" He asked jokingly.

      " There's nothing wrong with homeschooling my dear friend." Sanem said teasingly, as she kicked a bit of sand in the direction of Luca. Luca stood quickly, " Hello there my dear. We didn't see you all come up." He explained, reaching to give Sanem a hug. She welcomed his hug, and returned it with enthusiasm. This was perhaps the only man other than CeyCey that she loved like a brother. He had been there for her when she was at her most vulnerable.

      " And yes, I will allow my babies to go to school now, but only because we will be there too." She replied, leaning over to give her husband a kiss. " This is all so exciting. Those children will be learning from the best." Thea said, clapping her hands together. 

      " Now, it's dinner at our house this evening. Luca is going to grill some fish and we can make a salad." Thea said, not wanting to hear an argument. Sanem and Can both agreed, " Sounds great, can we bring anything?" Can asked.  " No, just make sure you come hungry." Luca replied, waving at them as he took Thea and Marcus and headed up the beach to their house.

      Can pulled Sanem down next to him on the blanket. " I think we may have time for something special, if you know what I mean." He spoke, his voice sounding deep and mysterious. Sanem smiled, " Oh that would be nice, but what about our children. They are less than 10 feet away from us building a sand castle." She whispered, feeling a shiver of delight run helplessly through her body.

      Can sighed then said quietly, " You're right my love, but tonight you are all mine. You do remember what happened the last time we were here?" He asked, as he softly brushed his lips across hers.

      Sanem giggled, her memory fully engulfed with what happened some 6 years earlier in the same cottage. " Yes my husband, I remember all too well." She replied. " Are you sure you want to recreate that same scenario."  She spoke in a whisper. 

      The man reached out his hand to Polen as she stepped over into his boat. " Thank you, you are so kind." She said, batting her eyes at him. He fired up the boat and eased out away from the pier. Her excitement had reached its peak as they glided across the water toward Divit Island. 

       It took a while before the island came into view. The man pointed out across the water, "There it is ma'am, Divit Island. They have made a beautiful place out here in the middle of this small cove." He yelled out to her. She smiled and shook her head, as she took her first look at the island. The place they thought they could disappear to, the place they thought no one would find them. 

      The closer they came to the island the harder her heart beat. He pulled back on the throttle and drifted up to the dock. " Ok ma'am, here you go. Like I said they aren't at home, but you can leave your note and we can be on our way." 

      Polen looked around in amazement, quite impressed at what she saw. That simple little naive girl from the poor side of town did have good taste in decorating, she would say that. Unless this had all been Cans doing. She took a deep breath, pulling in all the smells of the island. 

      She quickly turned to the man, " You know I think I'll stay here for a while. Would it be possible for you to come back later on this afternoon and pick me up?" She asked, giving him that innocent smile. He didn't feel comfortable at first of leaving her there all alone, but she insisted. 

      She waved at him as he started off across the channel back toward Antikythera, so pleased at her ability to persuade men to see things her way. 

      " Now, let's see how Can and his silly little wife are living.".......she said with a hint of evil to her voice as she headed toward the house...