Chapter 17: The Blind Banker: pt 1

Start from the beginning

(In the supermarket, John holds lettuce in a plastic bag and moves it slowly across the scanner in an attempt to get it to read the barcode.)

Automated Voice: Item not scanned. Please try again.

(John straightens up, staring at the device in exasperation.)

John: D'you think you could keep your voice down?

(In the flat, the attacker has his sword held horizontally in both hands and is pushing Sherlock backward into the kitchen. With a tight grip on the man's wrists, Sherlock falls back onto the kitchen table and the man follows him down, trying to press the edge of the blade into Sherlock's throat. Grimacing with the effort, Sherlock pushes the man's right wrist upwards to keep the blade from cutting him.)

(The point of the sword begins to dig into the table to Sherlock's right. Sherlock raises his left leg and knees the man in the side several times and, as this begins to weaken the man's grip, Sherlock forces himself upwards again. The sword tip gouges a long slash across the top of the table. Nikki vamps over to the man, before grabbing him by his throat and compelling him to tell his employers that Sherlock has declined.)

(In the supermarket, John has, at last, got everything scanned and has inserted his credit or debit card into the chip-and-PIN machine. He types in his PIN and waits.)

Automated Voice: Card not authorized. Please use an alternative method of payment.

John: Yes, all right! I've got it!

Automated Voice: Card not authorized. Please use an alternative method of payment.

(The man in the queue behind him has already picked up his own basket in expectation of getting to the scanner soon

(The man in the queue behind him has already picked up his own basket in expectation of getting to the scanner soon. John reaches towards his back pocket but apparently realizes that he has no other way of paying.)

John: Got nothing.

(He points at the machine.)

John: Right, keep it. Keep that.

(As the man behind him looks on in surprise, John angrily walks away, abandoning his shopping and quite possibly his card as well.)

(In the flat, Sherlock is on his feet again and the fight has moved back into the living room. Nikki releases the man who takes another swing at Sherlock who ducks underneath the sword and then quickly straightens up, pointing directly over the man's shoulder.)

Sherlock: Look!

(The man has already half turned in that direction with the swing of his sword and is also perhaps momentary distracted by their reflections in the mirror over the fireplace behind him. Sherlock takes advantage and swings a powerful uppercut to the man's chin, and the man drops unconscious into Sherlock's armchair. Sherlock straightens up and immediately checks his reflection in the mirror, straightening his jacket and cuffs and then dusting himself down. He looks down at the man with disdain, as if indignant that he messed his suit up. Nikki smiles at her mate before she helps take care of the attacker.)