Chapter 17: The Blind Banker: pt 1

Start from the beginning

Andy: Well, I can't see how a tiny splash of tea's gonna help.

(He grins nervously.)

Soo Lin: Sometimes you have to look hard at something to see its value.

(She puts down the teapot as Andy steels himself to say something. Just as he opens his mouth she lifts up another pot to show him.)

Soo Lin: See? This one shines a little brighter.

(Andy braces himself.)

Andy: I don't suppose ... um, I mean, I don't suppose that you ... you wanna have a drink? (he grimaces.) Not tea, obviously. Um, in a pub, with me, tonight ... umm.

(Soo Lin puts down the pot, not looking at him.)

Soo Lin: You wouldn't like me all that much.

Andy: Couldn't I maybe decide that for myself?

(She hesitates, but then briefly glances toward him.)

Soo Lin: I can't. I'm sorry. Please stop asking.

(She closes the box.)

(A little later, the main entrance doors to the museum are closed for the night and most of the lights are turned off. Down in the basement archive, Soo Lin is in one of the stacks, presumably putting her equipment away. There's a noise nearby.)

Soo Lin (calling out): Is that Security?

(There's no response, and after an anxious pause she walks out of the stacks and looks around.)

Soo Lin: Hello?

(To her right, a tall and narrow object is covered with a white sheet that billows in a breeze. She nervously walks closer to the object, then hesitantly takes hold of the sheet and pulls it down. Whatever she sees underneath makes her face fill with horror and fear.)

(SUPERMARKET

(SUPERMARKET. John Watson is standing at one of two self-service checkouts, scanning items from his basket. A short queue has formed behind him. John scans another item.)

Automated Voice: Unexpected item in the bagging area. Please try again.

(221B BAKER STREET. In the living room of the flat, Sherlock Holmes is under attack from a heavily robed figure whose face and head are almost completely shrouded in a variety of scarves. As the attacker slashes at him with a curved sword, Sherlock backs up carefully and ducks this way and that to avoid the blows. Nikki waits to intervene if things get out of hand but she would only attack if she knew Sherlock was going to end up hurt.)

(The man backs Sherlock up as far as the sofa and takes another swing at him. Ducking under the sword, Sherlock drops onto the sofa in a sitting position. The attacker lifts his sword above his head with both hands and Sherlock raises a leg, kicking hard at the man's chest and shoving him backward. As the man stumbles back across the room, Sherlock gets to his feet and takes an all-important moment to straighten his jacket before charging across the room toward the man.)