21

George woke up in his tree, right where Dream had left him before. Why was it so loud? He can hear voices, and he is fairly certain they're not in his head. He slowly creeps to the night area and looks around. It looks fine... Then a click. Soft and tiny. But audible. He throws himself into a tree and looks down. A second later, a hole opens up in the side of the hill. Hannah walks through, wearing armor and holding a sword. She peers around but doesn't see George. Satisfied that there's nothing to see, she leaves. 

Dream soon follows, rushing in in a hushed manner, treading lightly as a man who is used to being hunted does. 

"George? George!" He hisses. He runs throughout the dome. He finds no sign of a struggle of any kind.

"George, if you're here, stay here. I'll take care of this." He looks into the trees, not seeing George. He then leaves, covering the exit with cobblestone as he takes his own. And once again, the forest is silent. 

George stays in the Tree, looking down in horror. Dream has told him that they were searching for him. That they would kill him if they found him. How many are out there? He can make out many voices. Quackity's voice yelling about something. Technoblades Deep voice. Then they all go quiet as someone talks. Dream..? He must have come to rescue George! The voices lead away and George lets out a breath he hadn't meant to be holding. 

Then he actually thinks. Even Dream couldn't take them. Especially not with Technoblade there. He's in trouble. What was he thinking?? They'll kill him!

George nimbly leaps from the tree and lands in the mossy grass. His memories of manhunts return. He can't recall who or why, but he had once spent a long time chasing someone, living off of what he could find. Who had that been? It didn't matter. He has skills and he can use them.

He quickly rips wood from the oak tree and builds a crafting table. From there, he builds a wooden pickaxe. He searches for stone and eventually finds some. A stone sword comes next.

No iron, no armor. Just a stone sword. But if he can even buy Dream some time to escape, it's worth it. They had discussed his spawn point. It's still in the woods. Dream would know where to go. He could rescue his best friend from the maniac posse and if he dies, so be it. It's for the good of the entire server.

He gathers his courage and leaves his forest. Nothing could prepare him for what he saw. Pets and items are all over. Items that matter to people. Things long since assumed to be destroyed or lost. Did..... did Dream have all of these? George passes an empty cage. Was there something in there before? Or... someone?

Uneasy, he creeps around the darkness. Muffled voices echoed around the room, but with no clear direction that they seem to be coming from. Then shouting alerts him of where to look.

"Phil! Phil, are you alright??" Someone with a deep voice yells, and a sound like pounding on glass can be heard. It almost sounds like Technoblade, but it's far too panicky to actually be him

George navigates to a large hole in the wall. A bright white light comes through it, like a sterile hospital. Wait, has he even ever been to a hospital? Where is that memory coming from? George can't place it.

"He's been getting worse since he got here. He needs a doctor, Ponk. He needs you." Purpleds voice echoes from inside. He's not talking about Dream, is he? Is Dream hurt?? George gathers his courage once more and jumps around the corner. 

"I'll take care of him after. Move." Dream kicks Niki towards an empty cell, decorated to look like the inside of an oven, as if you're being baked alive. George shakes his head. Is... is he on the wrong side here? Is Dream the villain? All those things and pets. All these people. Dream did this. He couldn't. George refused to believe it. But who else even could? It must have been him.

"D-dream? What's going on?" George asks, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. Everyone turns to look at him.

"George, I'm taking care of things. Go back where its safe." Dream uneasily says, putting his hands up as if he's talking to a rabid wild animal. Something to tame. George looks around. Ponk is bleeding. Phil looks nearly dead. Everyone except Dream looks scared. This...

"No, Dream. This isn't right." George says unwaveringly. He looks into Dream's eyes, past the clay mask. You can't do this. This isn't you. He thinks.

"George, not now. Back the fuck up and go!" Dream is yelling now, but George can't stop now. He continues his approach. What he plans to do, He doesn't know. But he can't do anything. 

"You're not the bad guy Dream. You're not a bad guy. Don't be the villain." George begs. Everyone watches, soaking in the drama. George is truly crying now behind his giant glasses that allow him to see the world how everyone else does. And now he sees what they see too. His best friend, a monster. But he doesn't have to be.

"You're one weakness, Dream, a random British dude." Techno laughs. Dream waves his clenched fist around like a maniac, a crazed look in his eye. The pieces finally fall into place. He is holding something else against them all. George knows what he must do.

"I'm not the villain, George. Im fixing things." Dream insists. He cant take it. George takes off his glasses, tears waterfalling down his cheeks are now visible to all. The world loses its vibrancy as colors fade from his sight. 

"Look around, Dream. Even I can see it. Please." George continues. Dream begins breathing really hard and strikes out at Eret with his sword. 

George doesn't think. He just acts. His friend has more than enough blood on his hands. He deserves a chance at redemption one day. Murder is unredeemable. Not like this.

Dream's sword plunges into George's flesh and Dream breathes in deeply. His eyes were closed behind his mask, he didn't see what happened. Not until he opens his eyes to see just what he had done.

George is grasping the sword in his stomach, gasping for breath. His heart aches more than anything.  More than the burning hot netherite. More than his inability to catch his breath. More than his life force leaving his body. His heart aches. Dream as he once knew him, is lost. But he doesn't have to be.

The world seems to go still as George looks up at Dream. Dreams' eyes are wide behind his mask. He feels regret. Not all is lost, then. George smiles his biggest smile. His heart may hurt but there's no need for anyone else's to ache for him. He's ok with death. He knew that going into this. 

George raises a bloodied hand to caress Dream's red hair. His thumb brushes the white clay mask. George tries to remember what was under it. It's been so long that he can't recall. He wants to see it. One more time. Just once before he dies. He can feel his body burning away. It hurts, but as the feeling passes over, the hurt goes away. He doesn't have long.

He undoes Dream's mask in the back, pulling the leather from the hidden clasp and unbuckling the simple iron clasp. The mask falls and George sees Dream's face once more. Tears fall down on him as he disintegrates away, passing straight through him as he passes on.

George wakes up slowly in his bed in the woods. He feels his chest under his shirt. It's sore.

He lifts his blue T shirt and looks down. A fresh scar has been laid there. But not red, pink or white. It's green and black. He falls back on his bed and cries. 

"Why? Why did things have to become so hard? Why couldn't it just be easy? I just want everything to go back to how it was." George calls into the woods, not expecting an answer. At least, not until the unexpected happened. 

"I can help with that" Comes a voice. It sounds distorted and wrong. Not human. But almost.... Almost like Dream.

George turns to look at the source. A creature hovers in the woods, just barely far enough away to be concealed by the shadows of the trees.

"Who are you?" George demands, his voice betraying his fear. The voice chuckles, stepping into the light. George recognizes him. He's seen him before in Dreams. Not that Dream. Like, hallucinations when laying vertical for ideally 8 hours whilst in a coma like state. That kind.

"You can call me God." Says XD 

A/N

I try to avoid authors notes because it takes away from the experience. BUT THERE ARE 5 MORE CHAPTERS AND IM LOSING IT, I'm excited for you guys to read them. I appreciate all and any votes and comments. Thank you SO much for readthis so far!