13] The end of karna's journey!

On the seventeenth day of battle, the much anticipated confrontation between karna and Arjuna finally takes place. They were evenly matched during the spectacular combat.

Karna had been gifted a bow by lord parashurama called Vijaya (pinakin), one designed by Vishwakarma himself. At Duryodhana's request, Shalya, who was a maternal uncle to Pandavas, reluctantly agreed to drive Karna's chariot, hence he had a charioteer to equal Krishna.

Without the Shakti weapon, karna had no particular way to kill Arjuna. He had to rely upon his own garnered skill. In a wondrous, intense display of amazing archery, valour and courage, karna and Arjuna engaged and exhausted all their brilliance, knowledge and passion. Karna devised an intelligent strategy based upon his personal prowess. He stunned Arjuna with a powerful volley of arrows that struck his chest. And the instant in which Arjuna was dazzled, Karna let loose another powerful volley intended at killing his powerful foe.

King Shalya of madra, Karna's charioteer told Karna to play safe by aiming the {naga-astram} arrow at Arjuna's chest. However, Karna refused to heed that advice and aimed the arrow at arjuna's head. But Lord Krishna came to his friend and devotee's rescue, plunging the chariot into the earth by his power, causing the fatal arrow to miss Arjuna by a few miserable inches and strike arjuna's crown instead.

During the course of combat, one of the karna's chariot wheels got stuck in loose soil, apparently because of a curse put on Karna by a brahmin whose cow Karna had mistakenly killed.

King Shalya, who was his charioteer, refused to get down and remove the wheel from the mud . Hence karna asked Arjuna to disengage in combat, while he got off his chariot and removed the wheel from the mud. Arjuna agreed.

But, lord krishna recalled karna's previous lapses in honourable conduct and ordered Arjuna to shoot at karna while he was attempting to lift his wheel out of the mud. The chariot wheel remained stuck and the curse of Parashurama ensured that Karna could not recall the mantras necessary to unleash the more powerful weapons of mass destruction - (The Brahmastra) . Krishna reminds Arjuna of Karna's ruthlessness against abhimanyu when abhimanyu was similarly left without a chariot or weapons.

All of Arjuna's tears, pain and anger swelled up within him as he aimed the fatal shaft Anjalika at a desperate Karna and beheaded him.

The real hero of mahabharata! जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें