Nine

"You know we could have stayed.", you said as you followed Viktor down some stairs.

Usually, you would go first so if he slipped you could catch his fall.

But in that moment he was so persistent to go first that you didn't even have the chance to try and protect him as usual.

He didn't even look at you but kept walking, gaze turned straight forward.

He seemed to be lost in though because he only looked up as his foot hit the shaky, old planks of the pier that the shabby house of yours was build on.

You stopped to watch him.

His fingers wrapped around the handle of his cane.

All of a sudden he was strangely tense, his shoulders rose and his back bend.

At first you though he was in pain.

It wasn't something uncommon for Viktor to experience pain or cramps due to his leg. Depending on how often and long he strained it, pain could occur.

Most of the time he pretended it was just exhaustion, but every now and then he couldn't hide how much effort he needed to put in to get through a normal day.

Slightly, your fingers twitched. You felt the need to reach out for him.

But he quickly brushed it off again.

"I'm fine...", he mumble towards the foggy water, but it was clear he spoke to you.

He still didn't look at your face nor did be try to be in a close radius.

You respected that and kept your distance.

What made you change your mind?, you asked in a careful tone.

A deep sigh escaped his lips. Slowly, he let his eyes wander over his shoulder to stare at you for a moment.

There was a deep, dark sadness inside this amber brown of his.

Usually, it was easy for you to tell what he was thinking about. Ever since childhood, he had been like an open book, every single paragraph clear, even the smallest of words easy to understand.

But in that moment he was like a blank sheet of paper.

Almost like a stranger.

"Did you ever think about another life?", he asked out of the blue, his voice even lighter than usual.

Taken aback by that question, you raised one eyebrow.

"Of course.", you said. "Another life for us. Like we promised each other."

The hint of a smile lit up his face.

"Yeah... Like we promise."

Worried by the way he was talking, you did approach him, but remained standing on the last step, still leaving space between the two of you.

Giving in to the desire to touch him, your hand reached out to brush a strand of his brown hair out of his sight.

But you managed to restrain yourself.

His eyes followed the movement of your hand.

He didn't object, but he didn't move towards you either.

He just remained motionless.

"Viktor.", you said in a gentle tone. "Did you think about it?"

Out of reflex, his free hand slid into his pocket.

"I did.", he admitted. "But I can't... I won't leave you here."

"You must."

"I don't want to."

A heavy sigh escaped your lips. Squeezing your eyes shut, you suppressed the urge to argue with him all over again.

All you needed was to convince him.

But this wasn't the right time nor the right place.

The day wasn't the greatest anyways, stained by memories of the past and unsolved trauma. The way he acted was also off, but maybe it was just because he was busy with his own piece of mind.

You knew that Viktor had not taken your gift lightly.

It would be best to give him a few days and push him into the right direction after.

"One day something better will wait for us.", you lowered your hand. "But let's not worry about it today. For now it's just us against the world."

His eyes followed your hand. A soft sound escaped him. It was something between a regretful whimper and an accepting hum.

"You shouldn't worry at all.", he offered you a hand.

Hesitantly, you accepted.

"I worry all the time.", you took his hand and locked fingers.

His eyes turned dark, yet he seemed relieved to finally hear his suspicions confirmed.

"I'm a burden to you."

"No.", you said without missing a second. "I worry in a different way about you."

Confused yet with the curiosity of a child, he looked up.

"How can you worry but not worry?", he asked.

The way he asked made him seem so little like an adult man and more like an unsure boy with self esteem issues.

Viktor had always been bad with understanding emotions that weren't as clear as day.

But he did get that you never wanted him harm.

Over the years he had become better at understanding you, and you only since he hated other peoples company.

With both hands you grabbed his face to force him to lock eyes with you.

Smiling softly, you placed a kiss on his beauty marks before brushing your nose against the tip of his.

Immediately, he turned into his soft self again.

"I'm not thinking of you as a burden.", you said, firm and clear, while looking him in the eyes. "I worry about you because I want you to be safe. I want you to have a good life."

A deep breath made his chest quiver as he grabbed your wrist to give it a gentle squeeze.

"You need to stop worrying about me and take care of yourself."

"I am by helping you out of here. Once you're up, I'll do anything to follow."

A sarcastic expression appeared on his face.

"Why do I get the feeling you'd get into more trouble without me?", he asked and pressed his forehead against yours.

You couldn't help but chuckle.

"Maybe because without you, my voice of reasoning will be gone to keep me from doing stupid shit."

Viktor had to chuckle too.

"You always got us into trouble.", he confirmed.

"And now I'll get us out."

Again, a shimmer of doubt appeared in his eyes.

"Let's not settle on it yet.", he asked.