Chapter 6: Influence

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Hueco Mundo XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Nel awoke with an unfamiliar pain covering her body. She jerked upright as she tried to identify where she was. The woman immediately noticed Ichigo sitting on a rock several feet away. His golden eyes stared at her calmly.

The Arrancar seemed surprised by his passive demeanor. The woman stared silently until Ichigo finally spoke, "You're awake…good."

Nel took a moment to take in her surroundings as she tried to identify exactly where she was. She quickly realized that they were far from where she and Ichigo had encountered each other during their battle and in a cave of some sort. Apacci, Loly, and Menoly were all on opposite walls with looks of distrust focused her way.

Ichigo himself sat close towards the entrance and was slightly illuminated by the moonlight from outside. He examined her surprised reaction and decided to explain the situation, "I didn't want to leave you for dead out there…in case you're wondering why I brought you here."

"White…no Ichigo was your name right? What is the meaning of this?" she inquired.

The orange haired Vasto Lorde scoffed at her question, "You know I've given some serious thought to the things you've said both before and after you showed up. There is definitely some truth in what you told me…but I don't think that your path and my path are the same."

"Why is that?" she asked uncertainly.

Ichigo shook his head at her, "You see the world your way…and impose your beliefs on others. You act just like a Shinigami. Whether you were right or wrong…I would never accept pious condescension from anyone. That aside, you were quite powerful. I usually don't like to kill strong hollows. It just makes us weak as a whole. However, don't mistake my mercy for compassion, Nel. I did regret having to injure you, but not the reason why."

"I must apologize then…I went about this the wrong way," Nel held her head down sadly, "it was never my intention to incite a fight between us. Perhaps I went too far with the things I said."

"There's no 'perhaps' about it…I get the feeling you did it on purpose," Loly said doubtfully.

Nel frowned, "I never meant for it to reach that extent. I wanted you to see the dangers of losing control. As a former Vasto Lorde, I felt it was worth trying to help you understand…even if it was indirectly. I struggled for a long time searching for answers. I hoped to spare you the same fate."

"That's why you're still alive. I believe you did succeed in helping me," Ichigo replied causing the Arrancar to jerk her head towards him shocked.

"I spared your life for two reasons, Nel…one because you healed me when I was an Adjucha, and two because you helped me realize something important," Ichigo said seriously.

"What's that?" Apacci interrupted hanging on his words.

"I now know what I want…I want a heart," Ichigo replied causing everyone to eye him surprised.

After a brief silence, Ichigo changed the subject, "Is there anything you wish to say? You're not as talkative as I remember, Nel…"

"That whole situation got way out of hand…I should have just given you more time," the aquamarine haired arrancar sighed.

"You insisted that I was an Arrancar…but I am not. That's all there is to it," he said intently.

She nodded, "You're right…hollows have to accept their humanity before they can become true Arrancars. The way your killer instinct took over is some evidence that you have not fully reached the threshold. Whether you choose to pursue your humanity or not is your choice. You are indeed powerful, Ichigo…but power won't give you a heart. The more power you have the lonelier you become."