Conflicted

Trigger warning: physical abuse and emotional abuse, Ben Hope

Ben wiped his lips off after kissing Charlie, "see you later." He walked off.

Charlie stood in the library where the couple met up on days Ben wanted to, well secret, couple. The young teen had to convince himself over and over that he liked to do this whole "secret" thing. He understood that Ben wasn't ready to come out yet and didn't want to force him to. But Ben didn't seem to worried about how Charlie felt about it.

Charlie sighed and grabbed his bag as the bell rang. He was blinded by how attractive Ben was to see that he was just being used. All he wanted was to be wanted by someone, and it felt nice that Ben wanted to meet up with him even at all.

Charlie walked into class, sending a quick smile to Nick as he sat down besides him. He had just met the rugby lad since they were form partners and was trying to stay away from Nick the best he can.
He didn't want to admit it but he was kind of afraid of Nick, since the bullies that bothered him last year were rugby lads as well.

"Hi." Nick smiled warmly. Charlie couldn't help but blush, "hi." He managed out in response.

"How's your day going?" Nick raised an eyebrow, trying to start some sort of conversation with his new form partner.

Charlie began to get his supplies from his bag that he needed for class, "Erhm, good." He stammered.

Nick let out a soft chuckle at the stammer causing Charlie to look up. "Are you scared of me? You shouldn't be, I don't bite." Nick assured causing Charlie to chuckle in relief, Nick was actually nice.

"Sorry." Charlie began, "you  remind me of the year 11s that used to bully me is all."

Nick pouted at the response. "Well I'm not that type." He smiled goofily. His smile was so contagious that Charlie had to smile in return.

"You don't seem like the type." Charlie nodded and began to at least try to pay attention to what the teacher was saying, when suddenly his phone buzzed.

'Want to meet up at lunch?' Ben had messaged. Charlie felt himself get excited, usually Ben was hanging out with his friends at lunch.

'Sure babe!' Charlie responded with a smile. But the smile soon faded as he read Ben's response.

'Don't call me that. Someone might read my phone messages and see. Are you that dumb?' Ben replied.

Charlie fiddled with his phone anxiously, not knowing that Nick was looking over at him with concern.

'Sorry.' Charlie sent and set his phone aside fighting back a sniffle. I'm dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

"Hey you okay?" Nick poked his shoulder. Charlie looked up and forced a smile "yeah."

Nick didn't seem to convinced. "Alright."

As soon as class ended meaning it was lunch time, Charlie grabbed his stuff and hurried over to where him and Ben usually met up.

Ben stood there with an annoyed expression, which made charlie nervous.

"You never told me that Nick Nelson is who you sit with at form." Ben said, stepping closer to charlie.

"I didn't think it was necessary to." Charlie fiddled with his sleeves avoiding eye contact. Which Ben did not like. He gripped Charlie's chin making him give him the proper eye contact.

"It's rude not to look at people when they are talking to you." Ben scowled causing Charlie to tense. Ben got like this from time to time.

"Sorry." Charlie managed out.

"Apology accepted. Now tell me why you think it's a good idea for you to be all buddy buddy with Nick!? He's my friend Charlie! He's going to probably figure out that we are together!" Ben's voice was raising as he spoke.

Charlie tried to get out of Ben's chin grip but that caused him to be slammed up against the wall instead. Charlie let out a surprised yelp.

"I-I'm sorry! you are hurting m-" Charlie tried to say but it was cut off by Ben forcefully kissing him instead.

"Stop." Charlie whimpered, he was scared now.

Before Charlie could comprehend what's going on, Ben was yanked off of him. There stood Nick, angrily pushing Ben away.

"He said stop!" Nick stood protectively in front of Charlie. "You fucking prick!"

Ben's whole face went into panic and he rushed off. Charlie stood behind Nick, shaking and trying to calm down his breaths. He didn't realize he had been crying, until Nick walked over and gently wiped his eyes.

"D-did you hear all of that?" Charlie managed out. He winced as he talked, he knew he was going to have a bruise on his chin where Ben grabbed him.

"Yeah." Nick nodded he had big worried eyes. "Let's just, focus on you for now." He said softly, "are you okay?"

Charlie shook his head no and shakily wiped his eyes.

"Can I hug you?" Nick asked, not wanting to violate Charlie's space anymore then Ben just did.

Charlie felt his heart burst, was Nick really asking if it's okay to hug him? He felt himself melt into nick's arms with a sniffle and slowly calmed down, feeling safe. Maybe Nick was better for him then Ben was.