Chapter 19

Zeke knew Gavin was tired by the way he lay limp atop him on his office couch. They had returned home merely hours before. It was late Tuesday evening, and Gavin had another round of chemo the next morning.

Olivia had returned to the hospital Sunday morning before her flight. She forwarded some documents her assistant had emailed to her to Zeke. She asked for a month to get things in order. Zeke was all too happy to do as she asked. Hopefully they can make something happen soon.

Anderson had been happy with the effects of the transfusion. In total, they had to give Gavin two bags of blood. His color was so much better. His fingertips and lips weren't purple which made Anderson happier than anything else. The bandage on his head had been changed several times because it wouldn't stop bleeding long enough for them to stitch it up. After two days, it finally stopped and they were able to stitch it.

The nurses had oohed and ahhed over their young patient. Gavin had been a model patient. He had listened when they'd spoken to him and had done what had been asked of him. They'd pitched in and had bought him another beanie with the hospital logo on it. He had argued with them about it but had accepted it when they'd said it was a gift. It had covered the bandage on his head again which made him feel better.

Dr. Wright had been happy when she'd come to check on him Tueday morning. She had taken a blood sample and had checked all of his counts. When she had told him the chemo was working, he'd beamed at her. She still wanted him to finish his rounds before they decided on a bone marrow transplant just to make sure they got as much of the cancer now. The transplant should help grow new cells that would overtake the cancer.

She discharged Gavin with a new schedule. He would have his final three rounds of chemo then have two weeks off for the holidays. In the meantime, they would search for a donor who was a match. Once they found one, they would harvest the bone marrow and transplant it to him. That would be the hardest process because he had to have a specific match to do so.

Gavin shifted, pulling his knee up into Zeke's groin. He shifted his head and his hand bunched Zeke's shirt in his first. The bruise on his head looked worse than it was. Anderson said it was mostly from the impact with the floor and not from hitting his head on the end table. Gavin hadn't been going to classes so it wasn't like he was going to see anyone.

"Mr. Daniels?" There was a knock at his office door. He tilted his head back to see Sampson walk through. He smiled fondly at the young man on his chest. "Emily Ray is here."

"Send her in," he whispered. He set his tablet on the coffee table and wrapped his arms around Gavin. The young man made a noise but didn't otherwise stir.

Emily walked in and dropped a couple of books to Zeke's desk. He knew it was Gavin's work. His professors would compile his list of assignments and either email them or send them by Emily. She always brought them by. The professors had made video lectures for him to watch as well. They had all been really accommodating since his diagnosis had occured in the middle of the semester.

The woman sat across from them, eyes watching Gavin steadily. Zeke was most grateful to her. She had kept his secret and had taken him to his first few appointments. Though he was and had been upset about it, he had completely understood. At the time, Gavin hadn't fully trusted Zeke and had been scared of what he would do once he'd found out. Emily had taken the brunt of that frustration, and she had launched it back at Zeke when she'd had the chance.

"He looks better," she mused. Zeke brushed his fingers over Gavin's head. He didn't move. "Has he withdrawn for next semester?"

"Yes, he did it before he ended up in the hospital," Zeke replied. "They say they're trying to find him a donor and are hopeful to find one by the holidays. But I know how this can go sometimes. I don't want to get his hopes up that he'll return to school next semester and they can't find one."