Chapter 16

Zeke was pleasantly surprised when the college students ventured into the kitchen. They were all dressed in somewhat matching outfits as they came to help cook. Well, three helped cook. They made Gavin sit at the island and peel potatoes while they did the hot and heavy work.

Even Gavin was wearing jeans. If he was following Zeke's rules, he wouldn't be wearing underwear. Since he just had a biopsy done in his right hip, he had to be uncomfortable. Zeke wanted to look and see if he was commando, but he didn't want to embarrass him.

He listened to their friendly banter, noticing how Davis was the one to encite everything. Emily barely had time to control him. He was all over the kitchen, but somehow he kept out of Gavin's way.

They catered to their friend. If he wanted anything -a snack, something to drink, his phone - they gave it to him. All he had to do was mention it and it was in front of him. His face turned red each time but he accepted them gracefully.

Zeke watched as he typed out a message to his mother wishing her happy Thanksgiving. He knew she wouldn't answer. When he'd last talked to her, she had been adamant she wasn't going to come see her son. Zeke had tried to tell her how he was doing with his cancer diagnosis, but she didn't seem to care. He'd called her one other time after first finding out about his illness, but Zeke had told her the last time he wouldn't be reaching out again.

Watching Gavin reach out to her meant he hadn't given up hope. He knew she wouldn't answer, but a part of him wanted to do it because he hoped she would. So every holiday and birthday he sent her a message. They all went unanswered, but it made him feel better.

"Jetson says happy Thanksgiving," he said. "He says he wished he could be here with us."

"He just doesn't want to be in Atlantic City with his family," Katie corrected. "They go every year, and he's tired of it."

"Maybe it's time to start his own tradition," Emily suggested.

At the word tradition, Gavin looked at Zeke. He knew the conversation was still rolling around in his head. After their argument, Zeke tried to go to bed alone, but he couldn't sleep. He'd been sleeping with Gavin every night for the last fifteen months that he couldn't sleep in the big bed alone. He'd wandered downstairs and piled on the couch behind the younger man. They'd both gone to sleep promptly, Gavin's hand clutching his shirt tightly.

They hadn't discussed their eighth member joining them. Gavin had planned for seven people with Mr. Sampson and Martin were going to be around the table with them, but he hadn't planned for an eighth. He also hadn't told his friends because Emily wouldn't have let him go so easily.

"When are Mr. Sampson and Martin arriving?" the girl in question asked. She mashed a huge bowl of potatoes with copious amounts of butter in it.

She had become very close with Mr. Sampson. They had exchanged numbers when Gavin had started going to the doctor regularly. The driver called her when neither he nor Zeke could give him a ride to his appointments. She had really stepped up to help them when they needed it, especially Gavin. Even now, Zeke was very grateful to her for keeping Gavin's secret when he felt he couldn't tell anyone else.

"I told them one," Gavin said.

Zeke was about to open his mouth and tell him what time he told Evaline to show up, but the doorbell stopped him. Gavin looked at him, knowing exactly who it was because it was only ten-thirty. His eyes were bright and his mouth in a solid line. He didn't move from the stool. He finally just looked down and continued slicing celery for the stuffing.

The oldest man went to the front door and pulled it open. Evaline smiled at him as she saw him. Zeke couldn't help but smile in return. In twenty years, his first lover and closest friend hadn't changed much. Her dark hair was starting to grey at the temples, but her green eyes were still as vibrant as they had been when they'd been in school.