She laughed as she stepped through the door, throwing her arms around his neck. "It is so good to see you. Since you asked me to go to California to deal with the other company, I haven't had a chance to see you."

Zeke hugged her back, noting how small she was in the waist. "You've lost weight."

She slapped him. "That's not a very proper thing to say. But if you must know, California suits me." She looked over his shoulder expectantly. "Where is she? Your new lover?"

Zeke pulled her in the door, closing it with a soft click behind her. She hooked her arm through his and walked with him towards the kitchen. "It's not a girl, Eva. His name is Gavin, but I have to tell you something before you see him."

Eva smiled gently at him. "Whatever it is, I won't cause a scene." So he told her everything. She listened carefully, nodding every so often so he didn't think she was ignoring him. "So he has cancer?"

Zeke nodded. "He's shaved his head and wears a beanie all the time. He's not self-conscious about it, but he's not happy I invited you without telling him first."

"Well, you messed up on that one. You should always tell your new lovers about your old one visiting. Even if I am the only one you stay in contact with."

Firmly reprimanded, Zeke led her into the kitchen. All conversation stopped as they saw Eva with him. Eva smiled warmly at them and introduced herself. Zeke had to introduce everyone to her because they didn't speak. Emily actually looked like a ticking time bomb.

"This must be Gavin," Eva said. She extended her hand to the man sitting at the bar. "Zeke has told me so much about you."

Not to be rude, Gavin took her hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you." He dropped his hand back into his lap when she let go. He awkwardly looked at her before turning away completely.

Eva smiled. "He's shy."

Zeke nodded. "But don't let it fool you. He's got a temper on him as well."

"Secrets don't make friends, Zeke," Emily chastised. The man looked at the woman who spoke. She glared at him. "If you've got something to say about any of us, just say it out loud."

"All I said was Gavin has a temper," he explained.

"His temper isn't the one you should be worried about."

"Em, that's enough," Gavin muttered. She looked at him. When he shook his head, she shut her mouth and continued making the green bean casserole. "Everything that needs to go into the oven will be ready soon. I'm going to take a nap."

"Do you need any help?" Zeke asked.

"No." It was sharper than Gavin had intended but he couldn't take it away. "I'm just going to the office. I need some quiet time."

Zeke watched him disappear into the living room. He barely heard the office door shut several minutes later. He wanted to go after him, but he was pretty sure Emily would castrate him if he did. He just wanted to give Gavin a normal holiday but he'd already messed it up.

Eva jumped in and helped finish lunch. She took the two young women's remarks in stride. Zeke knew she had faced more when they had been together, but he didn't want her to hear it again. But he also understood why Katie and Emily were so hostile towards her. He had thrown at them his ex-lover without any warning. He didn't blame their anger towards him, but it should be towards him and not Eva.

Davis went to get Gavin when the food was ready and everyone was in attendance. They took turns saying what they were thankful for before they started eating the scrumptious meal everyone had worked on.