Chapter 3: The Lesser Evil

Start from the beginning

My Little Rabbit and I have long since left her King from the east, choosing to search for the man who ruined her life instead. And yes, before you ask, I am very thankful to no longer be a guest of the King's favorite mistress. How tedious that was. Yes, boring as well.

We have chased our target across the Continent. He escaped us three times in Kovir, once in the Pontar Valley, and once in Angren. However, we are now in Blaviken with a new band of men. I believe that this time, he will not evade us. You will find this amusing: the alderman of this town attempted to kick us out of the inn we are staying at, even going as far as to request we leave Blaviken! But Renfri simply showed him the letter from her dear King Audoen that makes us untouchable.

My life has certainly become more eventful since meeting her. I thank the Little Rabbit for filling the loneliness in my heart.

Perhaps, I will visit you once we are done here? My heart could use your company just as well.

I await your next letter.

Continue to stoke the fire in your soul,

Nessa.

My hands roll the letter and tie it with an enchanted string - no one but Yennefer or I will be able to unravel the parchment. Then I wander to the window. When I open it, I whistle. My raven, Cáerme or Destiny, swoops in to perch on my shoulder. I feed him a snack before I tie the scroll to his leg.

"To Yennefer."

Cáerme squawks once before flying out into the blue sky. My warm smile lingers as I make my way down the creaky stairs of the inn. Eyes flit out to study the room. The lone wooden chandelier provides ample candlelight. The long tables are filled with many men and women alike. Though, the room is silent.

I pause on the bottom step just as Renfri's voice reaches me, "Can you not leave it alone for a moment?"

The innkeeper grumbles, "Witchers can't be trusted."

So that is what all the fuss is about. A Witcher.

I make myself known, wandering over towards Renfri and the cloaked Witcher, "Even with my lack of knowledge over our current situation, I do believe she was not speaking to you."

If possible, the silence grows heavier with my arrival.

My Little Rabbit nods and pops a hip before turning to the Witcher, "I apologize for my man's interference in your day."

I join my friend and glare at her man Vyr, "Hopefully he can improve his behavior."

Renfri finishes my statement, "By tomorrow's market."

That gives me pause, I wonder what she's planning this time. Though we are close, she does not always tell me of her machinations.

Vyr stares at my friend, though his eyes flicker to the Witcher who lowers his hood from his face. Finally the scoundrel replies, "Sorry, Renfri."

Then he draws the rest of the men away with a simple, "Come on, lads."

The fiddle resumes playing but I pay it no mind. As I slide in between Renfri and the Witcher, I allow my eyes to study him. To my surprise, it's the same man that helped me slay the basilisks many moons ago. Geralt of Rivia.

Geralt does not tower over me by much, his jaw reaching my brows. To most, his stature would be menacing, but I have seen and survived much worse than a Witcher. His wolf armor is battle worn, and the sword on his back makes him appear much taller - despite the black cloak covering most of him. My only reaction is to grimace at the swamp detritus covering his visage and hair while saying, "It has been quite some time since I last laid eyes on you, sir Geralt."