14. Family Friends

1570 words

You've known the Leclerc family for as long as you can remember, Hérve and Pascale were like second parents to you (they were your god parents too). When Hérve died, it broke you as much as it did his real family. The boys were your best friends. You would go to their house all the time after school and at the weekends and you have since you were really little. You were the closest to Arthur, he was your age age he was the one you could count on to keep your deepest secrets, the one that you spent nights crying laughing with. Charles wasn't around a lot, especially in the school year because he was racing but when he was home, the time you spent with him was special. Lorenzo was the older brother you never had, he would give you the best advice and you would go to him if you needed help with anything.
You always felt a bit different around Charles, something you had never felt for anyone else. It was almost a nervous feeling, the butterflies went crazy in your stomach when you saw him, you didn't know what it was but it made you excited. You had to pretend everything was normal around him though because Arthur was always there and you didn't want him to start to feel left out as you didn't feel the same about him. Of course, you loved Arthur with your whole heart but he didn't give you butterflies like Charles did.
You were meeting with the boys at their house to play a video game that Charles had. You were never that good at video games because you didn't play that often but it was always funny when you tried. Charles had been home for only a week for his summer break so you hadn't yet seen him- he had been out when you were there. When you arrived, he answered the door and immediately pulled you into a tight hug, spinning you around. "Oh my god! Y/N!"
"Charles! I missed you so much!" You said excitedly. There they were, the butterflies.
"Come in. Arthur is in his room, he's going out in a bit but he can chill with us until then, of course." You made your way up to Arthur's room, Charles following closely behind. You went in and saw him playing on his game. You ran up behind him and hugged him. He turned around, "Y/N!"
"Arthur!" He paused his game to greet you properly.
"It's been forever!" He exclaimed, hugging you.
"It's been 12 hours." Charles laughed from behind you, shaking his head. You couldn't help but notice that he was looking at Arthur funny. Almost mad at him.
"10 actually." You corrected him, laughing.
"10 too long!" Arthur said, "so where did we leave off?" He asked you, referring to the tea you were spilling last night before you had to leave.
"Oh yes! So Lexi told Maddie to fuck off so she did and then she was talking to me about it and she was saying like "oh she's a bitch" and all that." You explained, using hand actions to exaggerate the story.
"She didn't!" Arthur gasped.
"I know that's what I thought. I mean I'm not getting into it or on any side because that's complicated, you know? But between you and me, I don't like Lexi."
"I never did to be honest." Arthur confessed, making you laugh.
"You know me, babes. I'm just here for the drama." You laughed again.
"Honestly same," Arthur said, "it gives me life." You both laughed. You remembered Charles was standing there when he cleared his throat. "Oh yeah. So this is the new game I was telling you about yesterday. Do you want a go?" Arthur said to you and Charles came over to sit on the bed next to you behind Arthur's gaming chair. "It's a racing one, no?" You asked.
"Yeah it is."
"Well I think the professional should go first." You giggled as Charles got up and switched with Arthur.
"Oh you do?" Charles teased. "Well that means you'll have to follow me up. You're going to look rubbish compared to me."
"Don't be so sure of yourself, Leclerc." You said but you knew he was going to beat you by a mile.
After about an hour, Arthur had to leave, leaving you and Charles alone. You didn't know why that felt like a big deal but it did. Maybe because you had never been alone with him, just you two for a long period of time.
You continued to race him, taking it in turns but you could never get any better. "Y/N, you really are rubbish." He teased you.
"Come on then, teach me. If you are that good you will be able to make me better." You challenged. He came over and knelt by the side of the chair. He held your hands in the right places and then steered the wheel for you with your hands underneath. He was so close you could feel his warmth radiating from his body. You could smell his beautiful cologne. It made your heart thump so loud you were convinced he could hear it but you tried to concentrate on the game. It was almost impossible but you got through a lap. Every corner, he would tell you when to break and when to accelerate until you had the fastest lap on the grid. "Yes! Fastest lap!" You threw your arms up in celebration. Charles smiled at you shaking his head. "Don't shake your head at me, Leclerc! I got the fastest lap." You looked over at him as he hadn't responded and you saw him just looking at you. "Hello?" You waved a hand in front of his face. "Oh yeah, what?" He snapped back to reality.
"What were you looking at?"
"You." He said quietly but loud enough for you to hear. You didn't know if it was intentional or if he didn't want you to hear so you just pretended not to hear to avoid an awkward situation.
"Um, want to play again?" You asked, changing the subject.
"Not really." He replied, looking down. He looked deflated, not the usual happy, bubbly Charles you had always seen.
"What's wrong, Charles?" You asked, concerned. Did you do something?
"Nothing, sorry. Why don't we just chill? Put on a movie or see what's on TV? We can go to my room if you want, I have better selection." He suggested, looking back up at you.
"Okay." You hopped off the bed and went into his room. You started to flick through the channels as Charles came in with drinks.
"Oooo! Thanks! Do you like this?" You asked him, pointing to the TV.
"Yeah, this is good."
——————————————————————————————————————————————————
You know when you can feel someone watching you? Yeah, well you could feel Charles' eyes boring into the side of your head. When you looked round, he looked down, smiling to himself. "What you smiling at?" You teased.
"You, ma cherie." He said louder than before, he wanted you to hear this time.
"What do you mean?" The butterflies began fluttering laps around your stomach.
"Y/N," he turned off the TV to have your full attention.
"Charles."
"I have liked you for a really long time. And in a more-than-friends kind of way. You make me feel so happy but at the same time you drive me crazy. You are so close with every other guy you know except me and I don't know if that's because you don't like me or what but when I'm away racing I wish I was here with you and only you. I don't know what that says about us but I do know that I really like you, Y/N. Like a lot. And it's driving me insane." You sat too stunned to speak but you knew he would doubt himself if you didn't say anything so you confessed everything to him.
"We'll... if I'm being honest, when I see you all I can feel is the butterflies in my stomach, fluttering around continuously. All I can hear is my heart beat in my ears getting faster and faster every time you get close. I don't know what it means but I don't feel this way about Arthur or Lorenzo or any of the guys I know so I'll let you tell me."
"That's love, Y/N." Charles replied, simply. "And I feel exactly the same."
You smiled, looking down at your knees. He lifted you chin back up, taking a good look at you. "God Y/N, you're so beautiful." Was all he said before closing the gap, his lips connecting with yours. In books, the author always uses sparks to describe feelings, specifically love. In this moment, you could confirm that all of what they had described and you had only dreamed of were true. You felt all the years of pent up feelings for Charles finally emerging and being validated- you knew what you were feeling and that, for you, was amazing (as well as the fact that you were very much in love). You pulled apart reluctantly for air. "I've been wanting that for so long Charles. I just didn't know." You said, breathless.
"Me too. Now can we do that again?" You quickly crashed your lips onto his, kissing him passionately in response. His hands cupped your cheeks, pulling you as close as he could. You both couldn't get enough. Once again, you had to pull apart when air became a problem.
You fell asleep that night with a smile on your face, resting your head on Charles Leclerc- your first love.

A/N: I finally got over my writer's block! Hope you enjoyed! I think that one is one of my favourites, as well as the first one (and part 2 of course) it's just so cute! 🥹 Make sure to let me know what you think and what you want me to write in the future.
Remember you are loved and strong and beautiful ❤️
-A