61. Boyfriend Problems

Start from the beginning

"I asked Grandma if she wanted me to do the dishes earlier." I tell Zayn when Gloria was out of ear shot.

"Well, Gloria lives here." Zayn says, making himself more comfortable on the couch, letting out a yawn. It was a chain reaction and I began to yawn as well. "It was a long day."

"Yes, it was." A voice behind us says. Patricia. "Why don't you two go upstairs and sleep? It's getting too late for any of us to drive home."

"Wait, I'm gonna be making deep fried Oreos." Gloria shouts around the corner from the kitchen. "I know it's Zayn's favorite."

"I'll stay up for that." Zayn perks up, leaning forward in his position. "How about you, Marley?"

"No, I think it'd be smart for me to sleep." I answered. "Meeting everyone and being overwhelmed with that much family members at once; well, it can tire a girl out." I chuckle and stand to my feet, looking toward Patricia.

"I'll show you up to the room you can sleep in." She smiles softly and motions toward the large polished stairs.

I leaned over to kiss Zayn's cheek, quickly telling him good night. Then I peeked my head into the kitchen and wished everyone else sweet dreams before following Patricia.

"I hope that today was truly alright for you." Patricia says when we mounted halfway up the stairs.

"It was fun, actually. I've never seen so many family members and thought of them as mine." I answer, using the railing as I climb the stairs. There was so much.

"I'm glad you took such a liking to everyone. They seemed to like you, too." She says.

When we finally reach the top of the stairs, she turns right and beckons me to follow her down the dark long hallway. We passed by many rooms, the doors open to allow me the access to peek in. There were lights in each one, showing off the decor.

Expect for one.

Curiosity got the best of me and I entered the room that Patricia passed.

It was illuminated, not from the inside, but from outside.

The pools lights casted a blue glow into this room because it was directly over the water. The pop-out shade that followed down the deck and stairs was just a ten foot drop from the window.

"Marley?" Patricia's voice asks into the slight darkness of the room. I turn around and she was searching the wall for a light switch. The lamps around the room came on. "What are you doing?"

"I just wanted to see where the light was coming from." I answer, walking over to her and turning off the light switch. She began making her way down the hall again. "Who's room was that?"

"Your grandparents room." She answers.

* * *

~Zayn's POV~

"That's too much oil." I scold Gloria for the second time, sitting up on the counter as she struggles to get the jig right.

"Don't back seat cook, Zayn. It's not attractive." She grumbles.

"I'm just saying; if you don't wanna get your hands burnt because the oil will build up and spill over the sides, you should either get a bigger pan or empty some out."

She sharply pointed the tongs that she's using to flip the cookies, my way. And with a glare, she turns back to the crisp covered Oreos.

Then, her phone started to go off.

"Don't tell me its the loser." I groan as she checks the screen.

"Yeah, it is." She sighed, placing it on the counter to let it ring.

I picked it up, but she didn't complain. Her eyes were trained on the food deep frying in front of her.

"He-?" I begin, but he speaks just as I pick up.

"Come here, I'm outside." Was all he said, and he hung up.

"He's here." I tell her, placing her phone back down on the counter before I jumped down. I fixed my white t-shirt to sit more comfortably on my body and headed toward the front door. "He's waiting outside."

"Zayn, he could hurt you!" Gloria calls after me, but I've already made up my mind. I'm not gonna sit back with the knowledge of this guy nearly beating my cousin, one of the ones I'm closest to.

I shut the front door behind me and jog down the decks steps before striding across the yard, toward the large dark vehicle across the street.

"Zayn!" I hear my grandfather call from the house. "Zayn, come back-!"

"Zayn, don't do this." My mother this time, her voice quickly getting closer.

"You don't know what he can do!" I hear Gloria shout.

"I told you not to date a man like him, Glo." Grandma scolds, footsteps of various people getting close.

But as the guy stepped out from his rover, I shoved him against the car.

"The fuck is wrong with you?! Why are you here, couldn't take the hint?" I shout. He threw his arms out to push me back, but I blocked and shoved him again. "You don't deserve anyone."

"Who the fuck do you think you are, huh?" He nearly growls, stabbing a finger into my chest. "Gloria's side hit? I don't think so. Move."

He pushes me to the side and I nearly stumble over my feet, but I gain my balance and launch forward with my fist extended. My fist connected to his jaw just as my grandfather held me back from behind.

Grandma pushed the bastards chest just enough to catch his attention. "I want you gone, Glen."

"He hit me!" He shouts at her.

"Don't you yell at her." Gloria steps up. "Don't you get it, we're done."

Something burning lingered in the air, but neither of us seemed to care much for it. The people not too far down the road always seem to be making a fire with sap coated wood.

"You need me." Glen said, lowering his voice to intimidate her.

"Shut-" I began but my mum covered my mouth.

"You shut your mouth." She says, then whispers. "I'm very proud of you, but I can't be. Not in front of your grandparents."

I nod and she releases her hold on my face.

"If you don't leave, I'll call the cops." Gloria straightens her back as she speaks. "I want nothing to do with you or Cynthia."

"She's your best friend." He stated with a shake of his head.

"She was until you cheated on me with her and got her pregnant. Have fun with each other." Grandma sifted her arm through Gloria's as her granddaughter spoke strongly. "And if you ever come near me or harass me again, I'll call the police."

Glen forced his drivers door open and slammed it shut, his elbow jutting out through the already open window.

"You might wanna call the police, anyway." He spat as he threw the car in drive. "Your house is on fire."

Our heads all snap in the direction of the house.

Grandma gasps, grandpa curses and pulls out his phone, Gloria's hands fly up to her mouth in shock. And my mum and I stand speechless as flames were seen through the windows inside, quickly licking its way to ignite the whole bottom story of the house.

"Wait, Marley-!" I suddenly realize, shooting forward across the street.

"You can't go in there!" My grandpa yells, capturing my shirt before tugging me back. "The fire marshals will be here soon."

"Mum!" I scream, tears jumping into my eyes.

She was frozen on the spot.

Her mouth hanging, her eyes glued to the flames inside, her body shaking.

An explosion happened inside the house, the glass windows breaking and glass thrusting out in all sorts of directions. That's when I heard Marley.

"ZAYN!"

(Holy shit, I did not just do that ;] )