XXX: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"Sir. I know of their circumstances, but not with much detail. I have worked with the older patient several times and is conscious of his needs and current state." She was clearly much more collected and certain, not wavering under the hero's gaze. Aizawa didn't like the vague answer and the confidence, but he can't deny that handling Izuku requires nerves of steel. She didn't seem villainous, but he will be keeping an eye on her for the time being.

He kept throwing questions back and forth, probably more than necessary, until he felt a bit more at ease.

*****

For several days to come, nothing of importance happened. The two nurses were professional and didn't give Aizawa any reason for suspicion. Akashi was a tad too meek and surprisingly weak-hearted, yet nothing that would affect his performance. Nurse Yuki, on the other hand, was often silent and stone-faced. Her cold and uncaring mannerisms didn't affect Izuku, but Eri seemed withdrawn and uncomfortable around her. In any case, since Eri had noticeably warmed up to nurse Akashi, and since he was capable of fulfilling her needs, whether it be medically or emotionally, nurse Yuki focused more on Izuku, her prior knowledge coming in handy.

Mirio went back to U.A, yet it didn't stop him from visiting several times a week. While dr. Matsuda spent most of his time in his new office, researching and reading papers. He had to occasionally go to the hospital, but most of his time was dedicated to help and study Izuku's case.

The boy was improving successfully, being able to eat and drink small portions every day. He was able to hold short conversations, mainly with Eri, who was now glued to his side all day long.

The little girl seemed to be getting better as well, acting cheerful and flashing genuine smiles, not bothering with any false facades to hid behind and speaking her mind freely. It was all thanks to her therapist Mrs. Shinsou, who was apparently his student's mother. He had been very surprised when Togata told him about the connection, finding the coincidence astonishing. He talked to her after one of Eri's sessions and was amused by the fact that this cheerful woman was the outmost opposite of her gloomy son. After a short discussion he found the woman kind and reliable, his suspicions flying out of the -nonexistent- window.

Last but not least, was the cook who would prepare the meals, who seemed trustworthy for the meantime. Aizawa didn't put much research on that one since he was not from the hospital and had no idea of who they were. He didn't interact with the kids and didn't spend any unnecessary time after preparing the day's meals and departing silently.

Aizawa wanted to spend more time observing, but was rushed by Yamada to come back to teaching.

He practically had no choice but let himself get draged to his tiresome routine as a teacher.

He was not looking forward to that. Yet  he missed his students quite frankly.

No one needed to know that, though.

*****

Upon standing right outside 1-A's door, he grunted in dismay as the chaos inside radiated to him already. Shouts and screeches could be heard from a mile away. Iida's voice was the most distinguishable, followed by Kaminari's and Mina's.

With a sigh, he slipped the door open, counting under his breath to see how many seconds it would take them to shut up.

Yet to his surprise, he didn't even get to two before a deafening silence filled the entire class. He glanced up at the kids, one eyebrow raised in wonder.

"Well, that was fast," he muttered. But before he could admire the discipline any longer, several students sprinted his way with eagerness.

"Sensei!!"

"You're back!"

"How was your dat-"

All of them got silenced as usual by his quirk, the running students dodged by him before they stumbled and fell to the ground.

"Spoke too soon.." he mumbled again.

Seriously, why were those kids trying to hug him at every chance? Aren't they too clingy? Since when did his relationship with students get this intimate?

An image of a certain unfortunate pair of kids flashed behind his eyelids, subconsciously comparing the life his students get to live with what the two had to endure.

He forced the thought away as he walked lazily toward his desk and leaned on the edge of the table. All students were in their seats at that point.

He put the files he was holding on the desk and folded his arms to his chest in disapproval, there were things to discuss first.

"I hear you didn't behave in my absence." All might told him about how out of control things has been without him. He even heard that they drove a substitute teacher into submitting his resignation. Actually, he heard the man quit the whole career and started a small cafeteria instead.

A heavy mood emerged as the students exchanged nervous glances. They hadn't necessarily meant to be irresponsible or chaotic, they simply were too used to Aizawa's ways that they were unable to function without him.

By now, the kind, gentle mannerisms Shouta had accidentally developed from his time in the hospital were gone. And back was the intimidating aura he usually beared.

"And..." A shit-eating grin spread on his face.

Oops. That was never a good sign, 1-A knew that they were done for this time.

"...three months of detention for every one if I don't get to know who's idea this was, in three... two..." He fished the letter he had found in his suit on the day of the mission from his pocket and held it to the class. "...one," before he finished the countdown, several fingers of the less strong-minded students were pointing in Mina's direction.

"Eh?! You traitors!!" She cried out, flailing her head around to glare at the ones who ratted her out, before letting a high-pitched squeak out and squeezing her eyes shut when Aizawa made his way to her desk, hand reaching for her head.

"I'm sorry Sensei! It was a jok-" She got cut mid-sentence when Aizawa's hand rested on her pink mop of hair and ruffled it gently.

"Thank you," he told her as she proceeded to look up at him in utter surprise. "It saved my life."

Shit, he guessed it would take a while to get rid of the softness he had developed.

Mina's cheeks flushed bright red, visible even on her pink skin. She smiled brightly at him as several jaws dropped around the class.

"You're still getting detention, for invading privacy, and using inappropriate language with a teacher." He won't be forgiving being called a beggar, though.

His evil grin was back as he walked back to his desk.

Mina's smile dropped as she proceeded to slam her head against her desk dramatically and let out the loudest groan ever. Other classmates chuckled and some came forward to her, feigning sympathy and patting her back while holding back their laughter.

Aizawa let out an airy laugh of his own.

Yeah, he definitely didn't miss teaching.