Caspian slides the ring onto my fingers, smiling up at me. "Excellent. You will not regret this, Kiva."

***

Caspian's home is beautiful.

The marble stairs lead me up toward it, where I once visited only a few weeks ago. Now, I am visiting again to what will soon be my new home. Once we are married, I will be expected to move in.

I didn't need to tell Ark about the engagement when I returned with Caspian to the house two days ago...

He saw the ring on my finger at dinner. The moment I was in my room for the night, he spent a good hour telling me how I made a horrible decision, even when disregarding the mate bond.

I won't forget that look in his eyes. The betrayal.

My father has ordered Ark to remain at my side, even as I visit a different part of the land. We aren't too far from home, so the risk of being targeted still looms.

If only father knew that one of the rebellion's members is right by my side at all times. I think that would be the final nudge over the edge for him.

"I can't believe you said yes," he mutters, one of my bags slung over his shoulder.

"Look, I get it, you're upset. But I had to do it," I grumble under my breath, giving two guards who stand by the door a polite smile.

"You're marrying a man who isn't your mate," he breathes. He grabs my arm, drawing me to a stop in the threshold of the foyer. "Am I that awful?"

My stomach turns as I look up at him.

Even though I know who he is, my heart still hurts knowing that he is witnessing me move on with another man. He knows he has the option to leave, but he has insisted that he wants to stay as my personal guard.

I can't tell if it's because I'm his mate and he cares about me, or if it's because he's been told he has to by those he works with.

"I have a duty, Ark," I mutter, glancing over my shoulder, wary the guards are listening in.

He shakes his head. "One you don't want."

"Quiet, okay? There is a lot more to this then you understand." I'm not saying his life is simple, because I know it's not, but he hasn't been raised like I have, told throughout my childhood that this is the only option for me.

"I'm not going anywhere, you know. I'm still your guard," he tells me pointedly. The way he looms over me reminds me exactly why this isn't going to work.

Caspian is going to learn sooner or later that there is something going on between Ark and I.

"Yes, I know. But don't think of flirting with me in front of Caspian," I growl, pushing at his chest. He doesn't so much as flinch.

He exhales, eyes drifting down to my lips. "You're mine before you're his."

I grit my teeth, wondering if I should throttle him now and tell Caspian I don't want Ark as my personal guard any more. My future husband would have no problem getting rid of him, considering what happened last time we visited.

"I am no one's. I am my own person and I'm marrying Caspian," I snap, turning to head into the foyer to meet the prince.

Ark grabs my arm again, pulling me back until I'm so close to him that a chill travels over my skin.

"I hear things about him, you know. That he is a deeply selfish person..." he breathes lowly, dark hair falling down over his eyes.

"He's been nice to me," I exclaim. I may not be attracted to Caspian, but I suspect he will be a good enough husband.