"Stop pushing me away, Wei Ying. I'm not going anywhere."

"Are we wrong to be together?"

His barely audible question broke his heart even further. Was someone filling Wei Ying's head with these stupid ideas? Wangji gently grabbed his chin and forced Wei Ying to look at him. "People who say that we shouldn't be together don't know anything about us," he started, not letting him look away. "My love for you only grows stronger every day, and it won't stop because someone doesn't like seeing us together. No matter who it is," Wangji said firmly. There was a flash of pain in his silver eyes. Did someone close to him say something? Who was important enough to force Wei Ying to distance himself? Suddenly, Wangji understood. "I've waited my whole life for you, Wei Ying. I won't give you up to please my brother."

His eyes widened in surprise. "How did you know?"

"I didn't," Wangji shrugged with a cheeky smile. "But I couldn't think of anyone else you would listen to and try to leave me."

"He cares about you...."

"If Xichen cared about me, he wouldn't try to chase my life away," Lan Zhan cut him off. "I don't care about sects' rules or expectations. I can't live without you, can you?"

"You know that I can't... but if me being gone is better for you, I wouldn't hesitate. Your happiness is more important than anything."

"Do you swear you will do everything to make me happy?"

"Mm."

"Perfect, I need you by my side to be happy," Lan Zhan chirped. "Now, you can't escape."

"Lan Zhan!"

"What? All is fair in love and war," he shrugged, then leaned in and kissed him slowly. "I'm going to leave the sect, and we will find a place for ourselves. Far from all of this," he said, looking back in the direction of the banquet.

"What about your marriage proposal?"

"What about it? Are you proposing to me?"

"Yes... I mean the one from that greedy bastard."

"Oh, that... I told them that I was not into women and left. Dunno what happened afterwards."

"You did not!"

"What else did you expect me to say?" Wangji smirked.

"When did you become so shameless?" Wei Ying asked, bringing their foreheads together. His silver eyes shone full of life and love, gazing into amber gold orbs. It's funny how easily Lan Zhan dispersed his insecurities. It made him feel like a fool for trying to leave.

"I have the best teacher."

His hand rested on Wangji's nape, then pulled him into a deep, passionate kiss. "Thank you for not giving up on me," he whispered.

"I will always stand by your side, Wei Ying."

****

The atmosphere during the afternoon banquet was awkward, to say the least. Xichen's face was tense. He wasn't sure if he should be more embarrassed or angry about his brother. How could Wangji so blatantly reject the marriage proposal he and Jin Guangyao worked so hard to get? Not to mention openly admitting he was a cut-sleeve. Xichen sighed. He was barely able to deal with rumours about Wangji and Wuxian before. Now everyone was convinced they were a couple. Xichen would sooner lock him up than agree with this questionable relationship with a demonic cultivator without sect or family.

"Er-Gege? I heard what happened before the hunt," Jin Guangyao said, approaching him with an innocent smile. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I don't know what to do, A-Yao," Xichen sighed, pointing at the sitting mat beside him. "Wangji was always so disciplined and respectful towards our rules, but now he stays outside Cloud Recesses because Uncle refused Wei Wuxian entry. He follows him everywhere, and now this...."