Chapter 11 - Awkward

Start from the beginning

I decide to go for a walk around set using this chance to relax. Everyone is taking a break to have lunch and just gather strengths to keep shooting. I really need the fresh and clean air of this place to stop thinking of work and all the thousand things that could wrong if I become reckless or even get distracted for a second.

Ten minutes. That's all I need.

I start heading to the car to grab something more comfortable to wear. For the meeting I had to wear a suit and it's too uncomfortable to go around in a skirt, blouse, blazer and heels. I need a pair of jeans and a jumper, even if that will make me look my age and I should avoid it on set. I just need to feel comfortable for the rest of the day after that exhausting meeting.

On my way I don't expect to run into anyone as they should be eating. After that meeting I still feel full, I don't think I can even eat an apple right now, but everyone else is working hard and they need to grab something so no one will faint in set.

But I do run into someone, and not just someone but Gareth Maddox.

"Ann?" he asks when he sees me and I try to stand straighter, hoping to look more dignified in front of him.

"Hi," I say with a little bow of my head then smile at him.

His expression is still cold and detached, but his eyes are watching me carefully and I think he's a bit confused. At first I don't understand why he's looking at me like that, but then I remember I'm still wearing this kind of costume to make me look older.

I feel the blush in my cheeks.

"You look... different," he finally says and I look down, feeling embarrassed that he's seen me like this. Surely, I look weird in his eyes.

"I... had a meeting," I try to explain. "It's just to keep the rest of the people focused on what matters instead of their prejudices."

"Did it work?" he asks next and I feel a tingling sensation in my chest when I realise he is actually continuing the conversation. He could've just left, mumbling an oh or something. He doesn't need to keep this going, yet he is doing it.

"I mean, the goal was them focusing on business and they did. The meeting didn't go great, though, but I don't think that's because of how I look." He nods slightly, his confession disappearing and the stoic expression comes back fully. "Now I was heading for more normal and comfortable clothes. I still can't get used to these," I add, pointing with my hands the suit I'm wearing.

"It doesn't look bad on you, though. It's just... out of place, I guess. You look like thirty-five or something and that's just... weird," he tries to explain himself and he sounds so unsure, almost hesitant.

"I feel like I'm wearing a costume," I confess in a secretive tone, even leaning a bit closer as if we were exchanging secrets. He smiles a little. "I mean, Cece, a makeup artist, did this to me after all."

"It's as if you were getting ready to play the part of a CEO in a film," he ventures and my smile widens.

"The only difference is that I'm actually doing it." Gareth chuckles this time, softly, covering his mouth with his fist to hide that from me, or I think that's why he does it. "I wish I could follow stage directions and memorise lines. That would help me out," I add and I think I said something wrong because the amusement disappears.

"Is it too hard?" he asks and although that's what you would say in a concern tone or with a sympathetic expression, his is still detached but his eyes have something different, a shade that I think could be actual concern or maybe curiosity.

"I'll survive," I reply, shrugging. "I hope," I add as an afterthought and he smiles again. "Especially the moment I'm back in my clothes."

"Oh, am I bothering you? I'm sorry," he apologises immediately and I notice the change in his posture, how he tenses and even takes a step back.

"No, not at all. Aren't I keeping you from having your lunch?" Just now I think about that and I feel bad. I've tried hard to keep this conversation going on, but maybe he just meant to greet me on his way to grab lunch but instead got stuck with me here.

"I already did." He shows me then the bag he's carrying that I didn't notice before. "I prefer eating alone," he then adds and I look at him surprised. "More comfortable," is all what he shares about it and I can just look at him, wondering what's up with him.

I know everyone calls him the Ice Prince and I honestly believe that suits him. When you see him it actually feels as if he were made of ice and nothing else, but I've talked to him and he doesn't look like that. It is indeed hard to read expressions or even figure out exactly what he is thinking, but he is not just cold. Of course, during interviews and other events he doesn't talk like when he speaks to me, it's different and I wonder if that is his character to play for everyone who watches him. Maybe the Ice Prince isn't really Gareth but the actor, the public figure and the real boy behind that is just really hidden.

Or Maybe he's acting with me. He is that good of an actor, I wouldn't even know if he is or not.

"Don't you get along with the other actors?" I ask him, trying to get a bit more of information about him, hoping that like that I'll be able to figure him out.

He shrugs in a disinterested way, he doesn't seem affected by my question in the slightest. It almost seems as if he didn't even worry about it or even consider it until I asked about it. For some reason, I don't think he's being arrogant or something, although that would be the normal conclusion I'd make if anyone else replied like that. I would believe he just doesn't think anyone else is worth it enough to share lunch with him. But with Gareth I think it's different, I just don't know how different. I really can't read him but I don't think it's just that simple with him.

"Is it because you're hiding something?" I dare ask, although I'm not being really serious about it. "Like a bad habit or a humiliating thing because you're scared someone might see you and sell the story to the paparazzi?"

It does sound like a plausible reason. I mean, he is a very famous celebrity at the moment and everyone is dying to find out more about him, to figure him out as much as I would, so I bet they would pay a good sum for any kind of story that would melt the Ice Prince's image.

However, instead of answering Gareth just laughs.

"It's just... more comfortable to be alone. That's all," he finally says. "And this location is just amazing." He shrugs again and I notice this time he looks a younger and even more ordinary when he does that.

"Well, then I guess I'm just getting in your way," I say and even if the words leave my mouth easily, I feel reluctant to part ways.

I don't dare to name an emotion but when I say the words, something changes in his eyes. "Oh," he says and I smile friendly.

"I also need to change. I'll see you in set then," I state and he nods but doesn't say a word.

I feel awkward, I don't know what else to say and we are both just standing here, face-to-face and not even making eye contact. I should just move, say goodbye and keep walking, but I'm rooted to this spot. And he doesn't seem to be moving any time soon.

"So..." we say at the same time and I laugh nervously, he just stretches the back of his head. "See you around," I say and he just nods.

I accept I'm the one that'll have to move first, so I slightly bow and finally move, walking past him and heading to the car where my clothes are. I don't look back although that's all I want to do, wondering if he just kept walking or stayed there a bit more.

I'm not sure but I'm inclined to believe he isn't that much of an Ice Prince. I think I have to pay more attention to him if I want to know exactly what his deal is and that thought seems quite agreeable.

___________________________________________________________________

Yay, more #Anneth! Did you enjoy the chapter? I hope so!

Dedication to @Parallel

Bel, xx

NU: Tuesday