chapter XV

i s l a n d o f d o o m

♤♡◇♧

"I hate to break it to you, but Salazar's dead," Leon spoke into his transmitter while you crouched to the ground below, listening to every word and being disappointed when once again, it wasn't Hunnigan.

"Yes, it seems that way."

"Saddler, why don't you give up and let Ashley come home?" You could hear the exasperation lace Leon's every word.

"Perhaps you are disillusioned with overconfidence. Just because you killed my small-time subordinate?" Saddler replied.

"Saddler, you're small-time." To this, Saddler let out an eerie chuckle.

"Writhe in my cage of torment, my friend." Leon placed his transmitter away before locking eyes with you for a small moment. He managed to cause your heart to flutter with just a single look.

"After you," you smirked when he pulled his eyes away to begin down the trail. Just one wrong step and into the depths you go. You felt yourself shiver at the thought of slipping from the edge.

"Damn invasive thoughts," you mumbled softly.

"Leon!" Your eyes widened when Ashley's voice found its way to your ears. The assumed voice is what triggered your feet to begin a sprint, but was stopped in their tracks.

"Leon!" There Ashley was, being carried into what looked to be an old military base. Your fingers latched onto your pistol and knife, simultaneously holding both, and jumped across the small gap separating the trail from the facility.

"Slow down," Leon advised, "there's way more than either of us thought." You began to step back when several gonados wearing military garb, began shuffling in your direction.

"Of course," moving forward along with Leon, you stabbed your knife through one of them before using its body as a shield while you aimed with your opposite arm, pulling the trigger.

"To your left!" Leon shouted. Your reaction time being a few seconds too slow, you attempted to improvise by throwing the shield body into the oncoming gonado, both bodies falling to the ground leaving just enough room for another attack. You gripped your knife again, lifting it into the air and slamming down the sharpened metal into another skull.

"S-shit," you huff before lifting your gun, aiming, and pulling the trigger.

SLUMP

You pull your eyes away from the fallen enemy, moving to follow Leon's lead. You latch onto the ladder just behind Leon, pulling yourself up. Leon leaves his arm outstretched, causing you to grab on and haul yourself the rest of the way.

"Thanks," You spoke softly. This makes him nod. You began to feel vibrations travel through the soles of your feet. You began to scan the area, only, you didn't need to for long once a large man dressed in a white tank with a red cap. In his hands, a minigun.

"That's no way to play fair," you quipped, pulling your shotgun from your shoulder.

"Didn't think you'd know much about playing fair," Leon replied. Using the red cap as a target, you pulled the trigger, seemingly missing.