episode 20 || nine of hearts

TWO MONTHS AGO

"I can't believe we've made it this far." Sakura told me as we walked towards a new game arena. "Don't get your hopes up. We've only been here for two weeks." I said. "I know, but still." She said.

We entered a big squared office building that was brightly lit. In front of the doors was a small table that held the phones and collars for tonight's games. We each grabbed one and put on a collar without questioning. Beyond the table was a sign with an arrow pointing to the left. We followed the arrow and made it to a small hallway.

"Wonder what tonight's game will be." Sakura said. "Same. Let's hope it ends with you dying." I smirked. "I hope it ends with you dying!" She grinned back. We both laughed.

there was a single door at the end of the hallway. we opened the door. inside were a bunch of other doors, all lined up in front of us. each door had a bright sign above it, which flickered 'full' if (in my guess), was full.

we both exchanged looks. "two minutes before registration closes." our phones told us. "come on," i murmured to Sakura. she followed me over to a door that wasn't full at the very end. i opened the door.

it was a small brightly lit room with white walls and floor. there was nothing in there. no fruinitre or windows. it was just an empty white room. except there was a door on the other side of the room on the left.

i noticed two small slits on the wall right above the floor. like a mailbox attached to a door. the mailboxes' seemed to be sealed shut with metal. i stared blankly at it.

but then i saw something else. someone else. he was a teenage boy, not over the age of 16. he looked frightened, sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. it must be his first time.

an unknown speaker spoke inside the room all of a sudden. "two players per room." it said. Sakura and i made eye contact again, looking back at the kid. we came to an unspoken agreement.

"let's pick a different one." she said. i nodded and went back out to the other doors. they all said full, except one on the opposite side. "lets try that one." Sakura said.

"no," i said suddenly. "why not?" she asked. "if each room allows only two players, the game will require one of the two to die." i explained. "this is a hearts game."

Sakura gasped slightly. "you stay here," i got close to her ear, making sure the boy couldn't hear me. "the boy's an easy target. it's his first time."

she nodded. "good luck." she told me, worryness in her voice. "you too." i gave her a light smile. she returned it and pulled me into a hug. "what's this?" i almost gave a chuckle.

"if we dont see each other again." she told me, tearing up. i sighed with a soft smile. "we will see each other." i said. she smiled and nodded, whipping away her tears.

"one minute before registration closes." our phones warned. "i better go." i said. "wait, Aria!" she said before I turned around. "what is it?" I asked. "if I don't make it out, promise me you'll go to our spot. the one behind the ice cream parlor. I have something for you there." she said.

"don't say that. we'll make it out together and we'll go to our spot together." I said. she gave a sad smile. "okay."

she nodded and gave me one last hug before going into the room with the boy. i made my way to the other side. i entered the very last door.

the room looked the exact same. there was someone in here as well. another school girl. but it didn't seem like her first time. she didn't look scare nor confused. she merely stared at me close the door and enter the room.