flowers in your hair

Dinner tonight is perhaps one of the most lavish meals Louis has experienced at Versailles, and that's saying something. The great dining hall is afloat with hurrying servers and lively chatter from the guests. There are regal golden candlesticks placed at each end of the table and the ornate, diamond chandelier hangs boastfully above the entire gathering.

His parents had spared no expense, bountiful greens bursting on delicate salads and the juiciest of meats served with rich and creamy sauces are served to every single guest. While Louis enjoys a delicious dish as much as the next person, he finds that oftentimes the elaborate concoctions that the kitchen cooks up are too overwhelming for his palette.

He likes simple things. Bread and butter. Cheese and crackers. Fish over rice. So he forgoes the more bountiful platters and surveys the servers in search of his favorite dish; spicy sweet potato mash. As he instructs the server to put a heaping glob of them on his plate, the Duke of Essex, who sits to the right of him, wrinkles his nose at the mass of bright orange.

"Forgive me for my forwardness, Your Royal Highness," he begins in a tone that suggests he is incapable of remorse. "But do you not think that filling your plate with more meat and greens would serve you better?"

Louis stops eating and stares at him. "How so?" he inquires.

"I do not think eating all but a stack of measly potatoes would be wise for your body. An omega like you needs meat and greens to stay healthy and keep their maternal shape."

Before Louis can retort angrily and give this knothead alpha a piece of his mind, the Vicomte is cutting in.

"I do not believe we have any right in dictating what anyone else consumes," Niall says pointedly from across the table. "And that applies no matter what gender someone may be. Being an omega does not limit you to have a certain appearance and I find it is quite crass to discuss another's figure."

Louis smiles gratefully at the other alpha, happy to know that even though he is quite capable of defending himself, that Niall seems to have a good head on his shoulders. It's appearing more and more glaringly that the same cannot be said for the majority of the rest of the candidates.

"Besides, in Ireland potatoes are considered the food of the people. I do not wish to be someone who considers himself above others when it comes to the food that I consume," Niall finishes with a flourish as he downs the rest of his red wine from the crystal goblet.

"Amen to that," Zayn chimes in from down the table as he raises his own goblet at Niall. He winks at Louis and the omega giggles before giving him a small wave. It is such a relief to know that Zayn, and even Liam are here to keep tabs on any possible disturbances from the candidates.

He is relishing in the Duke of Essex's stunned and hopefully permanent, silence when he feels a pair of eyes on him from the other side of the table. When he looks up he sees it is Prince Harry. The alpha is glowering at the Duke, his hands almost white from how tightly they are grasping his silverware.

Suddenly Louis gets a strong whiff of blueberries but it's mixed with the clear scent of anger, emitting from all the way across the table.

He's not certain what Prince Harry's grievance is now. Perhaps he had wanted to play the shining knight before Niall but Louis doubts that his words would have been genuine as the Vicomte.

"Prince Harry is only trying to do what he always does, assert his nonexistent dominance," he reminds himself as he shoves another spoon of the delicious mash into his mouth.

He clears away any lingering thoughts of Prince Harry or the sour taste that the interaction with the Duke left in his mouth and focuses on chatting with the rest of the suitors. As conservative and knotheaded as they might be, he finds that he genuinely enjoys some of their company.