39

R.P. Tyler only valued two things. Order, and his beloved Dachshund, Shutzi, the only thing he had left of his beloved wife who passed nearly three years ago. When Tadfield had called for an evacuation, he simply refused to leave, believing that everything that was being reported on the telly and the papers was an elaborate hoax. Even the detective that was looking in on the matter, a mister…..Sandalphon…..what an odd name…..had shown him a photograph of the prime suspect and the sooner this young woman was apprehended the better! Although deep down he found it hard to believe that someone who looked so harmless could be the mastermind of all that was going on. Surely there was another explanation for the frogs that fell from the sky just this morning? Or the blood rain last Wednesday?

R.P. Tyler even tried to look up the name of this so-called "agency" that this so-called Sandalphon claimed he was from on the business card he was given,  but the internet gave out long before he could even punch in, "Atlantis Private Investigators."

R.P. Tyler shrugged as he called for Shutzi. It was time for her afternoon walk and it was the best way to clear his head. While they did this they could patrol the neighborhood and make sure that Tadfield at least was safe.

As expected,  the neighborhood was quiet since everyone was gone. R.P. hated to admit it,  but he quite missed his neighbors, even the neighborhood children and the other dogs and their constant yapping. 

It was too quiet and the old man didn't like it.

Not one bit.

At the edge of Tadfield, R.P. suddenly heard a snap right when Shutzi darted forward when she saw a squirrel. Realizing that her collar had broken, the plastic buckle snapping in two, Shutzi dashed after the squirrel.

"Oi!" R.P. cried, "Shutzi! Get back here!" But it was too late.  Shutzi had gone beyond Tadfield's familiar boundary and R.P had no choice but to follow.